[UPDATE] Outlook connector not downloading new emails

MailEnable's Connector for Microsoft Outlook provides a rich messaging and collaborative interface to MailEnable.
gregorio

[UPDATE] Outlook connector not downloading new emails

Post by gregorio »

Hi,

This problem is in relation to the late emails post made here: http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21667

It appears the ME MAPI Connector (v1.33) for Outlook seemingly picks and chooses what newly arrived emails to download, for a period of time. Then leaves a small scatter of undownloaded emails on the server.

Now if I log in using webmail, I can see all of the emails Outlook and the Connector didn't download.

These new emails can sit for hours as well (and seemingly up to 24 hours). And, I'd never know about them unless I log into webmail.

Also, surprisingly, using "Check folder for new messages" doesn't necessarily work. Nor does "Refresh folder list".

Thanks guys,

Greg
Last edited by gregorio on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Outlook connector not downloading new emails

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Please download and upgrade to the latest MAPI client 1.34 on our downloads page and report back if the problems persist.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

gregorio

Re: [UPDATE] Outlook connector still not downloading new emails

Post by gregorio »

Hi Ian,

I've installed the 1.34 MAPI client, and still, not all of the emails are being downloaded via Outlook.

And, I can still see the emails (received 8+ hours ago, for example) in Webmail. But they aren't downloaded in Outlook.

Again, Outlook seems to still pick and choose which emails to download, and not download.

Thank you,

Greg

gregorio

Re: [UPDATE] Outlook connector not downloading new emails

Post by gregorio »

Hi,

Another update:

The problem persists (read the rest of the posts in here for more info).

I'm using 1.35 version of the MAPI Connector now-- in Outlook 2010 (32-bit). And emails are still being left behind on the server, during download by the Connector. And won't all show in Outlook. These emails can sit for 8+ hours, up until next day.

My customers have the same problem, and are very concerned. (They also have Outlook 2010 (32-bit))

Greg

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Ok the best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket via the MailEnable support form and provide credentials for a problematic mailbox so a technician can emulate the behaviour. Please also provide remote desktop details for the server so the tech can login and examine the MailEnable configuration and permission settings.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

gregorio

Post by gregorio »

Thanks Ian.

It's rather easy to replicate the problem:

1. Install ME Enterprise Premium 5.x to a server
2. Install Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 machine. And, Install ME Outlook Connector.
3. Create email account on server; set up new account on Outlook selecting the "MailEnable Server" from "Other" service. Use credentials used to create email account (earlier in this step).
4. If not already, open Outlook, and leave it open.
5. Have many emails sent to this new email account (from many different sources, and servers) throughout the day.
6. At the end of the day (or after some time), Open a web browser-- connect to Webmail, and log in using the new email account from step 3, above. Scroll through and you'll see the occasional emails Outlook never fetched from the server.
7. That's it.

(It takes shutting down Outlook and reopening, to fetch the missed emails)

Greg

scngan

Post by scngan »

im experience this same problem using MAPI 1.36 (x64), outlook2010

Additional Information:
Most of the time, after you login to webmail or mobile phone to read the mail, then only the connector will able to pickup the mail and download it.

gregorio

Post by gregorio »

scngan,

Some of us are waiting around for the next release of Enterprise Premium-- 5.12. It is supposed to have various fixes for MAPI (including issues with downloading new emails). I'm hoping this release will solve this issue once and for all.

Greg

MadCyberRunner

Post by MadCyberRunner »

Any Idea when Mailenable 5.12 and Connector 1.38 or higher are released?

I've lost customers on these issues, and all the installations I've made are now going to be MAPI only and not with the connector.

I've raised a Support Ticket and giving access to our mailserver, but the issues are still there.

Please give us an update and tell us that this is a known issue you are working on.

gregorio

Post by gregorio »

Hi,

This is another update.

The recent ME 5.5 update, and the Outlook MAPI Connector 1.38 update still did not fix this issue.

I still find many emails Outlook never downloaded from the server.

Thank you,

Greg

MadCyberRunner

Post by MadCyberRunner »

Hi, at the email sever there's an xml fil in each mail box containing info on weather the email are read and not read, and a list of exiting mails in the folder.

If you remove this xml file. ( Take a copy) and then log in to webmail and do a refresh of the folder, it will create a new file. Now Outlook will download your emails .

Warning !!! All email will be marked as unread. You have to change this afterwards in the webmail or outlook client.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The following explains in detail why there may be discrepencies in message lists (extra items appearing or too few items appearing).

Client Side Resolution (for when extra items appear in outlook mapi connector)
--------------------------
If the items are appearing in outlook but are not on the server, then they may be orphaned (this means that they once existed on the server, but have been deleted without the outlook client being able to make the same changes to its own local cache).

The Outlook connector maintains a state file so that it knows which items it has already downloaded.
If extra items appear in outlook then its possible that they may be orphaned from that state file.
They can be removed by forcing outlook to validate against the server and state file. This is done by turning on troubleshooting and accessing the "Reset Folder from Server" option while you have the folder selected.

Server Rationalization (when not enough or duplicate items appear in webmail, imap and mapi connector0
--------------------------
If webmail does not see messages that exist as MAI files, then the problem may be with the server index.
Deleting the _index.xml file is a last resort, and should really only be done if its corrupted in some way.
A better opton is to place a file called _CHANGE.DTY in the folder. This will cause the index file to be merged rather than losing flags.
The _folder.xml file can be be deleted and will be regenerated in full- (since the xml file does not contain extra information).
Regards, Andrew

gregorio

Post by gregorio »

Hi,

Thank you much for the info.

But, the recent update to ME 5.51 (and MAPI Connector 1.39) still did not fix the problem. I applied all the updates.

Again, the problem is this:

When you open Outlook, and, leave Outlook open—some new emails will not show up in Outlook, when they arrive.

These new emails show up in Web Mail however, but do not in Outlook.

You must close Outlook entirely, and reopen it, to see these new emails in Outlook.

(Also, these emails are not blank emails, or emails that are unusual.)

Thank you,

Greg

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
Thank you much for the info.

But, the recent update to ME 5.51 (and MAPI Connector 1.39) still did not fix the problem. I applied all the updates.

Again, the problem is this:

When you open Outlook, and, leave Outlook open—some new emails will not show up in Outlook, when they arrive.

These new emails show up in Web Mail however, but do not in Outlook.

You must close Outlook entirely, and reopen it, to see these new emails in Outlook.

(Also, these emails are not blank emails, or emails that are unusual.)
Best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket via the MailEnable website and provide credentials for the mailbox experiencing the problems along with the version of Outlook used by the client so that a technician can emulate the behavior.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tbarnes

Post by tbarnes »

Has this issue been resolved? I am having the same issue, I have upgraded to Enterprise 5.51 and Outlook Connector 1.39 and I am not getting anything at all; no emails, no calendar, no error messages.