ME and Domain on different servers

MailEnable Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - for EAS enabled devices (including iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Android, Nokia, etc).
mlopilato

ME and Domain on different servers

Post by mlopilato » Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 pm

I have 2 servers:
Server 1 hosts MailEnable w/ActiveSync & websites minus the site that I need to use with activeSync
Server 2 hosts the domain website that I need to have interact with ActiveSync

How do I get the ME w/ActiveSync configured on Server 1 to work with a domain on Server 2?

How can I get this to work with multiple domains on multiple servers?
Last edited by mlopilato on Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlopilato

Re: ME and Domain on different servers

Post by mlopilato » Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Can anyone answer my questions?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: ME and Domain on different servers

Post by MailEnable » Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 pm

The activesync clients will need to communicate with the actual mail server.

The fact that the web site is hosted on another server is not really relevant to ActiceSync itself (it has some relevant to implementing autodiscovery however).
It does however complicate things in that your configuration is not the normal point and click install (but since EAS integrates with SSL, the configuration is never absolutelystraight forward because it depends on what cerificates you have available).

As mentioned above, the biggest consideration in your configuration is SSL. For autodiscovery to work, you will need to have SSL configured on the sever that is hosting mail.
For autodiscovery to work, you will also need to have an SSL certificate for autodiscover.domainname installed on the mail server also.
If you do not have SSL for the domain, then you will need to get a certificate of (at least) autodiscover.domainname for the backend mail server.
You can probably use the autodisover.domainname cert as both the autodiscovery server and the EAS host for the domain.
These two aspects are outlined below:

1. GET EAS WORKING ON THE MAIL SERVER ITSELF
------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing to do is ensure that you can get EAS working (using the online test utility) through to actual mail server.

You should also register a new host in the domains public dns that points to the mail server. This would be something like eas.[domainname].
(you may already have such a certificate for mail.[domainname] if the mail domain has SSL offerable).

I will assume that IIS is installed and operating on the mail serer and you are are intending to use IIS to provide EAS connectivity, rather than HTTPMail service.

That being the case, you should add a host header for to the protocols site for a host called eas.[domainname]

You should now be able to use the verification utility to ensure that the EAS site is functioning correctly.

The tool is here:
http://www.mailenable.com/tools/actives ... cation.asp
(Do not use SSL initially)

2.CONFIGURE AUTODISCOVERY
------------------------------------
Activesync itself should now be working, and devices should be able to access mail.

In your scenario, you should simply be able to allow the client to connect to EAS using manual settings.
ie: in the activesync clients, you can enter the hostname of the mailserver (that is running activesync).

The problem is that they will need to enter the new server name and other details when they configure the client.
This is because the autodscovery service is not yet configured and you will need to configure autodiscovery for the domain.

1. Add autodiscover.domainame to your public DNS and point it to the MailEnable server that is providing mail.
2. Ensure that the Protocols site under MailEnable is bound to it
3. Configure autodiscovery using the ActiveSync Management application to resolve requests to the local mail server

You would also need to configure service location records in DNS, and the deployment guide explains how this is done.
Regards, Andrew