[TESTING] Contacts not visible on iPhone

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
webshaun

[TESTING] Contacts not visible on iPhone

Post by webshaun »

I just got a report today that my clients contacts aren't showing on on their iPhones. I'm very upset about this. A fix needs to be released immediately. This is now affecting iPhones and Android devices. If you guys want to keep MailEnable alive - these kinds of wide-scale bugs can't happen anymore.
---
Shaun Rieman
Advanced Micro Technologies, LLC

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Calendar Sync - iPhone

Post by MailEnable »

Thanks, I found the engineer who was looking into it (Ian) and the problem was identified as a difference in the way dates are handled with JellyBean/Lime Pie EAS client.

MailEnable reports the birthdays in this format:
-<Contacts:Birthday>
<![CDATA[20080828T080000Z]]>
</Contacts:Birthday>

The JellyBean client requires them in this format
Birthday>
<![CDATA[2008-08-28T08:00:00.000Z]]>
</Birthday>

The client would simply not show any contacts that had birthday dates configured.
It would also only show contacts up and until the first contact containing a birthday.

We tested on other devices, and the problem seems to be limited only to the JellyBean client.

Ian has access to the server, so he will apply the patch to fix this issue. I think he is also looking into some other problems - they may be related though, since it seems that the client stops syncing once it receives a date in this format.

The patch will be included in the forthcoming 6.72 releases.
Thanks
Regards, Andrew

webshaun

Re: [TESTING] Issues with Calendar Sync - iPhone

Post by webshaun »

What about the iOS phones? My client said his contacts on his iPhone are gone.
---
Shaun Rieman

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Its hard to speculate as to why it does not work on the IOS device without logs or reproducing (we could not reproduce on IOS 5 or IOS 6).
It is possible that the IOS device may be encountering a contact that has bad data - but again - its speculation.
The best tool for finding errors or reports on IOS devices is called "Debug On Console" - its .99c from the app store last time I checked.
It usually reports any parse or crash exceptions that occur under IOS.

I looked up your ticket and applied the fix to your server based on the details provided.

With respect to the actual fix (the issue we were able to reproduce on JellyBean), replacement libraries are here:

http://www.mailenable.com/hotfix/HTTP_20121129.zip

Here are instructions for others running 6.70 or 6.71

To install:

1. type mestop from the command prompt.
2. then replace the files (you can rename the existing ones for fail/safe regression)
3. then run mestart from the command prompt.

(You may need to recreate the account on the device in order to force a full sync; although this should not be necessary since the device will request the contacts and will issue a full sync on its own accord)
Regards, Andrew

inter5

Post by inter5 »

I may have misunderstood, but were any of the responses directed towards the issues I asked about?

To provide a bit more information, it appears that the greyed out calendar items are recurring calendar events but not all recurring items show as greyed out. It also appears that some recurring items that have expired (week-long events, for example), showed correctly in the webmail calendar and in Thunderbird via CalDAV but displayed as recurring indefinitely through EAS, both on iOS6 and Android Jelly Bean.

I also tested on an Android phone running Jelly Bean and all appointments added through webmail show up as invites on that phone as well.

webshaun

Post by webshaun »

Earlier in this thread I read that this fix was applied to my server. Doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. You guys must release a new version ASAP.
---
Shaun Rieman

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: [TESTING] Contacts not visible on iPhone

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi Shaun,

Can you please reply to your open support ticket with details of the problematic mailbox on the iPhone so we can setup the same mailbox on the device and emulate. It will be simpler if we deal with the discrete problem under the ticket. We can post the outcome here once its resolved.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support