Outbound mail won't resolve

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Cheshire

Outbound mail won't resolve

Post by Cheshire »

Running win2k AS, static ip via adsl, authoritative dns. I can ping any mx record I want, but mailenable, in polling the dns server for addresses, says that it could not find the mx record for a particular domain (eg hotmail) So I go to look at my cached lookups, lo and behold, I have a cached lookup for hotmail. So I ping the record, from my client machine (not from the server) and it pings properrly. Then I go back to my server, ping again. No problem. I go back to the mailenable console, and try to 'send now', and it doesn't go through. Why? The log file says that it can't find an mx record for hotmail....

What gives? I know I'm reading the logs right. I know dns is working, because I receive mail no problem, and my web server is running great. I can resolve any address I want. But Mail Enable does not seem to believe that dns is working right?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Remeber that you need to define your DNS Server(s) under the SMTP Connector. Make sure the ones specified match those assigned to your adapter. When you ping, you use the adapter settings... when ME sends, it uses the settings assigned under the SMTP connector.
Regards, Andrew

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

right now the dns server is listed as my exterrnal interface address... should I reset this to use 127.0.0.1? or my interrnal address? or should I use the fqdn? Which does mailenable prefer?
Smile... people will wonder
What you've been up to...

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Interesting... I just tried my own suggestion... (the joys of having a dedicated development server...)

In the smtp connector, i set the dns serverer to use 127.0.0.1, and restarted the service. This had the surpising side effect of clearing up a glitch in the diagnostic module... specifically, the local server test. Still hasn't solved the original problem, though.

And yes, the diagnostics is saying that it CAN find a dns server...

Help?
Smile... people will wonder
What you've been up to...