front-end/back-end domain smarthost email address doesn't ex

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
lbfm

front-end/back-end domain smarthost email address doesn't ex

Post by lbfm » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find much resolution to this question in existing posts. Here is the scenario:

I have an ME front end box domain-smart hosted to ME back-end where user mailboxes exist. Front-end accepts all messages for the smart-hosted domain whether the mailbox exists or not in the back-end. I would like to be able to reject messages addressed to non-existing email addresses at the front-end box before it accepts them instead of causing NDRs when delivery is attempted from front-end to back-end box. There is an article on ME KB ME020359 which describes how this can be possible and I followed the steps but it doesn't seem to work, what am I missing? Thanks.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: front-end/back-end domain smarthost email address doesn'

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 am

Hi,

The article mentions about disabling NDR's on the front end server. Have you tried this method?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

lbfm

Post by lbfm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Ian, thanks for the reply.
Answering your question, no I havent tried to disable NDRs. As I understand it, after disabling NDRs, the front end would still accept the messages for bogus addresses, it just wouldn't notify the sender unless there is something extra that disabling NDRs does, that I'm missing. My goal is to not even accept the message to begin with.

The article explains the process to achieve what I'm looking for as an "alternative/extension" so I think it's meant to be more of an alternative rather than an extension of disabling NDRs.

From my testing, the force-route utility only lets you enable it for a postoffice when all domains in that postoffice are smart-hosted. However, once a domain is smarthosted, it seems the local address-map.tab is bypassed for checking whether the recipient is a good email address or not. We're trying to basically tell the front-end to be authoritative and smart-hosted at the same time. Is there a registry setting or something to tell the FE to always check the address-map.tab regardless of routing options (smart-hosted ot force-routed)?

Thanks
Lou

beekerc

Post by beekerc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 am

I think i'm looking for the same thing here.
I currently use ArgoSoft Mail server to smart-server mail to my exchange server (where the mailboxes are)
with each mail domain I define, i could include a list of valid email addresses that it would accept for each domain and only forward emails with valid names.
I don't really see this feature in Mail Enable Standard. If it does exist, can someone please show me how to use it.
Thanks
BeekerC

jimmight

Post by jimmight » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:21 am

My server is a Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 and I do not use any third party control panel application. The installation was made in a volume mounted to a folder.

I have also checked my antivirus real-time protection and it seems nothing can be done to exclude queues and message store directories. I use Mcafee SaaS Endpoint Protection.
jimmight