ActiveX Can't Create Object Error

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
najam

ActiveX Can't Create Object Error

Post by najam »

I have downloaded mailenable standard and installed it on my machine, it was working fine 3 days ago but after configuring few postoffices and domains and 30-35 mailboxes within them, I have started getting strange error messages.

When I try to add a new mailbox or domain or the postoffice, it says 'Active X can't create Object', same error is occuring when trying to view the properties of any mailbox/doamin/postoffice. I am able to change passowrd of any mailbox though, but getting same error message when I press O.K or APPLY after changing it. I dont think if there is any restriction of having the limited no. of mailboxes in the standard version? If this is not the case, can you please tell me why I am getting this error message?.

I would also like to know the pricing information for the professional and enterprise editions, please do inform me when the final version will be released.

Looking forward to hear from you soon
Najam -us- Sahar

Support

Cannot Create Object

Post by Support »

What to do: First thing to try is installing the Standard Version of MailEnable over the top of the existing version - (it will preserve your configuration settings) - this will ensure that the application binaries are registered correctly.

Probable Explanation: Assuming that this occurs for all postoffices indicates that it is unlikely to be a database (\CONFIG\*.TAB) problem and is more likely to be that windows has "lost" the registration of one or more application libriaries (COM components - most likely MEAOPO.DLL).

Why has it happened: No idea! :? - We have had reports of this, and a reinstall has fixed it in some cases. It is a problem we are still investigating.
Please either post or mail the outcome to support@mailenable.com.

Much appreciated

najam

Post by najam »

Hello,

Thank you for replying to my problem. After re-installing MailEnable over the existing installtion, it gives me the following error message.

Run Time Error '419':
Permission to use an object denied.

najam

ActiveX Component Can't Create Object Error

Post by najam »

Another problem that I have been experiencing since the installation of MailEnable is that I am unable now unable to create instances of Dictionary Object in ASP using Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary"). My Applications that were using dictionary object are now producing errors, infact they were working fine before the installtion of MailEnable.

Just thought to inform you about this problem with ASP/IIS that I think is related to the problem with MailEnable that I am currently having.

Najam

MailEnable
Site Admin

Active-X Registration Issue

Post by MailEnable »

Najam,

It is likely that MailEnable is also suffering from the fact that the dependent libraries (like the scripting runtime) are missing or have been corrupted.

What you should do
You should first run regclean on your machine to purge the registry and remove any invalid COM references.
RegClean can be found at: http://download.com.com/3000-2094-88147 ... egacy=cnet

Next you should download and install the latest scripting runtime from:
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbs ... ipting.asp
This is typically installed with Internet Explorer (which is one of the reasons why Internet Explorer/NT4 SP6 +) are pre-requisites for MailEnable. Alternatively you may want to run RegSrv32.exe passing %windir%\system32\scrrun.dll as a parameter.

This should at least provide you with a new version of the Scripting.FileSystemObject and Scripting.Dictionary objects: - hence allowing you to run the non-ME applications you mentioned (assuming ofcourse that no other dependent libraries have mysteriously de-registed themselves).

Next you can re-install MailEnable (using an account with local administrative priv.

A little about Mailenable's Installation Process
Mailenable does not modify the Windows Scripting Runtime, it merely uses the library. Mailenable installs a number of COM components that facilitate the administration console and webmail but very little else is installed. The only shared libraries installed by MailEnable are the Visual Basic and Visual C runtime dependency DLLs. It is therefore difficult to understand how it could cause a corruption in the registry that would result in the deregistration of core components (like the scripting runtime) - this is something that has not been identified before.

Note: - Ensure your machine is not governed by Windows 2000 policy preventing the installation of applications as this may "uninstall" the applications).

najam

Run Time Error '419':

Post by najam »

Hello MailEnable Support,

Thank you very much for providing me with support for initiating MailEnable on my server. I have done everything according to your instructions and re-installed mailenable over the existing installtion, however I got an error when I tried to register RegSrv32.exe C:\WINNT\system32\scrrun.dll, but as far as I understand, that was an alternative to re-installing scripting runtime. By installing the latest scripting runtime, I have now gotten rid of the errors that My ASP Applications were producing when creating instances of dictionary object.

But the problem in mailenable is still resist there, I can not add mailboxes/domains/postoffices, neither I can view the properties of any mailbox/domain/postoffice. When I try to do so, I get this error message

Run Time Error '419':
Permission to use an object denied.

I would be obliged if you please help me in resolving this problem.

Best Regards,
Najam

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Permission to use object denied is related to your account priviliges. Did you install MailEnable when logged in as Administrator? Have you changed the security permissions for this account, or various directories? Basically, MailEnable is trying to either write to it's directory or access DLLs and doesn't have the correct permissions.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your precious time and replying early to my problems that helped me in fixing the scripting runtime problem.

Yes, when I installed Mailenable I logged on as an administrator and I have full administrative privileges on my admin account, And I haven't changed my account privileges, since I only have one admin account to administer my machine and on other person has access to my machine (except my server providers), so there is no way for others to change my account privileges. I have also checked NTFS permissions on the MailEnable folder and I didn't find any problem, just to have a safe side I changed NTFS permissions for the MailEnable folder and its sub-folders and files, so Everyone has now full control over it.

But still I am getting the same error message, Does Mailenable need write permissions on any other folder?

Many Thanks
Najam

najam

Run Time Error '419'

Post by najam »

Another think that I forgot to mention is that I administer my server through Microsoft Terminal Services Client and I installed MailEnable through Terminal Services.

Does it make any difference? please be informed that I also installed MS-SQL 2000 and lots of other softwares including MailEnable without any problem using termincal services client.

najam

Run Time Error '419'

Post by najam »

Another thing that I should have mentioned here is that all the postoffices and domains and mailboxes within them are working fine. I am able to send and recieve emails, But can't view the properties of any of them and since I am getting "Run Time Error: '419'" I can not change password of any of the mailbox.

Error 419

Post by Guest »

Just a suggestion but the issue may be that you are logging onto your server via TS as an account that does not have full control rights to C:\Program Files\Mail Enable and its subdirectories. I noticed that the installation tightens the security on these folders and this might be causing problems. Seems like the account that you are authenticated as via TS does not have the ability to write to the configuration directory. Suggest you grant that account full control to the path outlined above.

najam

Run Time Error '419'

Post by najam »

Thanks for the reply. Everyone has full control over the MailEnable installation folder (C:\program files\MailEnable).

najam

Run Time Error '419'

Post by najam »

The constant problem with MailEnable forced me to thoroughly check my system, and I found that there is some little problem with my windows as I am getting some Access denied error messages in my windows and when I view the properties of Administrator (account that I use to get into my server) from local user accounts, and click on Dial-in tab, it says:

'Could Not load the dial in profile because: Access is denied.
Dial-in page initialization failed.

I think I should ask my service providers to look into this and rebuild the server If needed.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Access Denied Error

Post by MailEnable »

This may be best as it seems that if you are accessing the MMC with a security context equivilent to local administrator it very "strange" that you would receive Access denied errors simply through running the MMC. You may also be interested in using tools like filemon and regmon (see www.sysinternals.com) to help you work out which file or registry key is returning the error.

pkaser

419 permission denied

Post by pkaser »

Did anyone figure this error out?

I found a posting on it here:
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020211

But I am running Win2K and my dcomcnfg doesnt have these options.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Pat Kaser