Help with mail filters

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
nantastic

Help with mail filters

Post by nantastic »

I'm sorry if this information already exists on the forums. Every time I tried to search it, I kept getting a message that my search terms were too common.

My mail filters work very poorly. I don't understand why, and I would like to fix them.

Is there a limit to the number of criteria data you can use in a filter rule? For instance, I have some filter rules that take email from one or two Message From addresses and move the mail to a specific folder. Those seem to work. When I have many, many Message From addresses, some work and others don't.

How do the wildcards work? Can I use asterisks on both ends of a name, or can it only be at the beginning? Again, it seems like some of these work and some of them don't. For instance, which of these are okay?

someone@domainname.com
domainname.com
*domainname.com
*domainname*

I have set Filter Action as "Move to message folder." Then I navigate to my Ads folder, for instance. When I edit the rule, it says [SMTP:\Inbox\Ads]. Is that syntax okay? When I edit filter rules that are working correctly, they just say the folder name, like Ads, without the [SMTP:\Inbox\] part. But I can't get rid of it. I renavigate to Ads and if I go back into the rule, it says [SMTP:\Inbox\Ads] again.

When I receive an email from an address I want filtered, I copy it into the filter rule. Later I receive another email from the same address. I go back into the rule to check and find it there verbatim. I don't understand why the filters aren't working.

Thank you for your assistance.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Help with mail filters

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Standard edition does not provide filtering options. Therefore can point out what exact version of MailEnable your referring to?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

nantastic

Post by nantastic »

V8 Webmail? Or where do I look to figure out my edition? I am very much an end user and not a techie person.

Thank you.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If you are end user then you need to contact your administrator hosting your email account that is using the MailEnable server software for email hosting.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

nantastic

Post by nantastic »

Well, I'm both. I have my own domain. I hired someone to build a Website for me, and Mail Enable is the software for my email. I'm just a solo practitioner. I don't have an IT department. So I'm the end user but I guess I'm also the host.

The filters worked fine at one time. They've gradually gone off-kilter, and I don't know what the problem is.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Run the MailEnable diagnostic report on the server as it will tell you the version:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=me020136
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

nantastic

Post by nantastic »

Thank you for the suggestion. There doesn't seem to be a Mail Enable program or Diagnostic Utility installed on my computer. I access the software strictly through my browser. I'm on Windows 10 Home. I used to use Firefox as a browser, but recently switched to Vivaldi. I've had the same problems with mail filters in both browsers.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If you are not the administrator of the MailEnable server then you will not be able to access the report. You need access to the mail server it self running MailEnable. If you don't have access then you need to contact your hosting provider hosting your domain/email.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support