Smart Host Setup Issues

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
mtisolutions

Smart Host Setup Issues

Post by mtisolutions »

Hi all,

I'm receiving two errors trying to setup Smart Host and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1) I keep receiving a relay authentication error. I have 2 servers, one is working fine as an email/iis server and I'm trying to setup a second one to point to it. I have setup relay security to use the integrated mailenable login, but my understanding is that this should not affect delivery to local addresses. However, the documentation says that you should only setup the domain level when you want to use smart host and not each individual postbox, so I have not setup any local mail boxes on this server. I believe I am getting the error because it isn't seeing this mailbox as a local one, but I don't want to recreate/manage 200+ mailboxes on two servers.

2) When I change the relay authentication to allow all relays (for testing purposes), I am getting an indefinite loop error. I have setup my smart host tab to point to the public IP address of my actual email server. My email server also has my IIS webserver and DNS setup on it (which includes an MX record that points to the smart host). On the Smart Host tab it says that no MX resolution is done, so I'm not sure what is pushing the email back to the smart host server.

My goal is to create some redundancy so I have a repository if my email server goes down again. ANY suggestions are appreciated, I've been at this for 10 hours now going in circles.