Disable local delivery

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
juavol

Disable local delivery

Post by juavol »

So I received MailEnable as part of a hosted server running Windows as it appears to be the default email server used by Plesk. That means, I have zero knowledge of the product itself and am hesitant to dive too deep into its details for something that appears like a very simple setting to me.

What I ultimately want: the MailEnable server should never do local delivery for any email, i.e. always route any outgoing email via the domain's server as setup via DNS MX records.

The background: I am trying to use a combination of GSuite GMail for some users and local MailEnable accounts for others. For GMail, this is called split delivery. GMail is therefore configured as the mail server for the domain in MX records. All email sent to us is received by GMail and messages to recipients not covered by Google are forwarded to the local server = MailEnable. This works fine. However, when a local account send a message to a GMail-hosted account, MailEnable would think it is to be delivered locally and fails. The recommended setting is to tell the local mail server to not do any delivery, i.e. route all outgoing emails via Google.

Thinking this would be a simple switch/setting somewhere (like in Postfix), I learned that it is not. Instead, documentation states:
The MERoute utility will force any mail being delivered to a post office to be smart hosted out regardless of a mailbox being configured on the server. This is useful for local traffic. Smart hosted domains are domains that are redirected to remote mail hosts.

Mail can be migrated from one MailEnable server to another as follows:

1. On the MailEnable server (i.e. the one hosting mail) smart host all the domains associated with the post office in question to the desired target mail server.
2. Use the utility supplied to force the routing of local mail to the smart host rather than local delivery.

To summarise, the new server needs to be configured and then migrate the data and configuration across to the new server. Then, smart host the domains to the new server and use the MERoute utility to force the smart hosting rules over local delivery. Unzip the utility into the MailEnable BIN directory on the current server. The utility presents an interface that enforces smart hosting.

My aplologies, but this is way to advanced and general for me to understand what to do. Why would I want to "migrate" mail? How do I "smart host all domains"? How do I use the utility to "force the routing"?

Is there a clear, step-by-step description of what I would need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.