Webmail - No notifications for New Email

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Daz Jones

Webmail - No notifications for New Email

Post by Daz Jones »

MailEnable Standard version 10.29 running on Windows 2012 Server R2
Client PCs - a mix of Windows 7 using IE 11 and Windows 10 using Microsoft Edge
Users access their email using WebMail.

So far, I really like this product. It was easy to set up and it works. I am struggling, however, with notifications. I would like users to have a visual notification when a new email arrives. They have their web browser minimised whilst working. I have looked at 3rd party products which do this but I don't want to have to install software (or maintain it) on many PCs.

According to the Feature List Guide (https://www.mailenable.com/mail-server-features.asp), MailEnable Standard should provide this functionality. Perhaps I'm simply missing an option in IE or Edge?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Daz

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Webmail - No notifications for New Email

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Are you referring to the new mail notification popups in web mail? They normally popup in the right hand bottom corner of the window. But then disappear after a few seconds.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Daz Jones

Post by Daz Jones »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to you. My wish is for them to have their web browser minimised whilst they work and get some sort of notification when a new email arrives. We don't have sound on any of our PCs (on purpose) so I can't rely on an audio notification.

I was wondering if perhaps this functionality is missing in the Standard product or if there's something I've missed (a setting perhaps in IE/Edge)?

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

Daz

Daz Jones

Post by Daz Jones »

After more testing I have found the following:

Internet Explorer and New Chromium based Edge
Notifications only appear if the web browser has the bottom right corner showing. So, if you minimise it or obscure it with another window (or tab within the web browser) then the user won't see the notification.

Old Microsoft Edge (Non Chromium-based)
All is good. Notifications for new email work fine.