List commands not working.

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Russell

List commands not working.

Post by Russell »

MailEnable Standard version 10.29 mailing list feature works fine, but the List commands are not working. My MailEnable private e-mail server is configured with Dynu.com e-mail store/forward service. Why are the List commands not working? :D

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: List commands not working.

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Which list command are you referring to?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Russell

Post by Russell »

Ian, the three MailEnable List server commands, namely: "Help," "Subscribe," and "Unsubscribe." Whenever I send a test e-mail message ( e.g., with the "Help" command in the "Subject:" field ) to my test mailing list e-mail address ( i.e., "bulletin_1t@theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" ), there is no response from the List server. E-mail store/forward is configured for my Dynu.com domain name ( i.e., "theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" ). Why are the List commands not working? Thank you for your help. :D

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You first need to determine if the inbound message is hitting the SMTP service when you send to the list address. Open the SMTP activity log file for the date/time your sending to the list and search the log file for the inbound message to the list address. Use the "Track Message" utility located under: Servers > Diagnose > Track Message within the administration console.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Russell

Post by Russell »

Ian, the "SMTP-Activity-200614.log" file consists of the following line:

"[06/14/20 21:39:05]****************** LOG FILE STARTED *******************"

At 09:39:05 p.m. yesterday evening, I sent an e-mail message from my Juno.com e-mail address ( i.e., "rewillis1_1@juno.com" ), with the word "Help" in the "Subject:" field, to my test mailing list e-mail address ( i.e., "bulletin_1t@theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" ). I am still not receiving a response. Also, in the Microsoft Management Console ( MMC ), using the MailEnable snap-in ( if this is the proper terminology ), under the "Servers">"localhost">"System">"Diagnose">"Track Message" path, the "Date:" field is set to "200614," the "Sender:" field is set to "rewillis1_1@juno.com," and the "Recipient:" field is set to "bulletin_1t@theholybible1.ddnsfree.com." When I click on the "Search" button, I receive the following informational error message: "Could not find messages matching the criteria specified." What am I doing wrong, here? Thank you for your help. :D

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If the SMTP activity log file only reports the line you pointed out then no messages are coming into the server. I am unable to telnet to the server via telnet theholybible1.ddnsfree.com 25. Also performing an nslookup on theholybible1.ddnsfree.com there is no reported MX record. Therefore you need to review your DNS records for theholybible1.ddnsfree.com and ensure they are pointing to the MailEnable server.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Russell

Post by Russell »

Ian, since I have a home personal computer system using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol ( DHCP ), I have a Dynu.com Dynamic Update Client ( DUC ) that provides me with a dynamically updated Internet Protocol ( IP ) address. My Dynu.com domain name ( i.e., "theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" ) is currently configured with the Dynu.com e-mail store/forward service ( which uses the two following Mail Exchange ( MX ) Domain Name Service ( DNS ) records: "store1.dynu.com" and "store2.dynu.com" ). I purchased this service last September, and it worked for a while, but does not seem to be working now. Also, this Uniform Resource Locator ( URL - https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020048 ) shows that three DNS records are required for mail to be sent to the MailEnable server. They are "A," "MX," and "PTR" DNS records. Just a few moments ago, I created an "A" DNS record in my Dynu.com DNS zone with the following hostname: "mail.theholybible1.ddnsfree.com." Then, I created the following MX DNS record: "mail.theholybible1.ddnsfree.com." I already have a "PTR" DNS record configured as follows: "252.235.67.in-addr.arpa." At this point, I am thinking I may need to temporarily disable the Dynu.com e-mail store/forward MX records, and wait for the DNS records I just created to propagate. In your previous posting, you mentioned having my DNS records point to the MailEnable server. Can you be more specific regarding what the MailEnable server is? Thank you.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Ok, your problem here looks to be that a firewall is blocking port 25 inbound. Or you may have not created the relevant port forwards for port 25 in your router. I am unable to telnet to mail.theholybible1.ddnsfree.com on port 25 SMTP, POP 110 or IMAP 143. I can whoever access the web mail client remotely on http://mail.theholybible1.ddnsfree.com/mewebmail. When I mention "MailEnable Server" I mean the server you have installed the MailEnable Standard edition software on.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Russell

Post by Russell »

Ian, first I launched the Microsoft Windows 10 ( Home Edition ) Windows Defender Firewall, and created the two following inbound rules:
  • Inbound_Port_25_TCP_1.
  • Inbound_Port_25_UDP_1.
Then, I restarted my personal computer system. After that, I launched the Microsoft Windows 10 command prompt ( in elevated mode ), and typed the following command:
  • telnet mail.theholybible1.ddnsfree.com 25.
The result was an error message.

Then, I logged in to my router configuration page and created the following custom service:
  • Inbound_Port_25_1 ( set to "TCP/UDP" ).
Then, I restarted my personal computer system. After trying the above-given telnet command, the following line appeared at the top of my Microsoft Windows 10 command prompt window:
  • 220 store1.dynu.com ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 10.29-- ready at 06/17/20 08:02:20
What does this mean? Thank you for your help. :D

Russell

Post by Russell »

Ian, now when I send an e-mail message to either of my two electronic mailing lists ( "bulletin_1@theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" or "bulletin_1t@theholybible1.ddnsfree.com" ), with the word "Help" in the "Subject:" field, I receive responses from my private e-mail server containing the List server help commands. Thank you for your help. I will certainly recommend the MailEnable private e-mail server to someone if they ask about which private e-mail server to use. :D

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Glad you got it all sorted.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support