Getting "The server is currently disabled" Message

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
michaely

Getting "The server is currently disabled" Message

Post by michaely »

Hi!

Installed the ME Pro today to give the WebMail a spin, but can't seem to get it working.

My first experience was that the script was timing out on me. I read other forum responses, and tried some ideas given there, namely changing the IME_User password. That didn't seem to work as I am now receiving a "The server is currently disabled" message.

Running on W2K. ME Standard works flawlessly for me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Michael

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Michael,

Was it working at all before you changed the password for the IME_USER account?

In any case, you need to make sure that IIS is synchronised with the same password as that held in the SAM/AD (Windows Password Database).

Here's how to do this (from within IIS):

1.. Open the Internet Services Manager
2.. Right Click on the MEWebMail Virtual Directory and select properties
3.. Click on directory security and click the Edit button under "Anonymous access and authentication control"
4.. Ensure that "Anonymous acces" is enabled and click the "Edit.." button (to edit the Account used for anonymous access)
5.. Temporarily uncheck Allow IIS to control password and set the UID and PWD as IME_USER (with the password you set for the IME_USER account)
6.. Check Allow IIS to control password and close all windows.

This will at least allow you to ensure that the password is recorded consistantly within IIS and Windows.

Exactly how and why you receive the error of Server Disabled remains a mystery to me (but I am still looking and will post when I can reproduce).

This error is not being returned from MailEnable and, as best I can tell, is an error that is an Internal Windows Error Code.

MailEnable's webmail is integrated with Microsoft IIS; and since IIS in itself is a configurable environment, ME can (currently) incur integration issues...

Are you able to access any other IIS served web pages on your server?

Cheers,

Dave

michaely

Post by michaely »

Dave:

I've made the modification to the Virtual Directory, but it makes no difference in the response I'm receiving.

The WebMail component was not working before I changed the password.

Perhaps some more information on my scenario here might help:

* Running ME Pro on a W2K Pro box
* Have other pages on IIS working correctly

Did 2 installs of ME Pro:

1st time, selected only WebMail as an option to install, but got an error message saying something like "The Memory cannot be read/accessed". The virtual directory was not created at that time (I'm not sure if the users had already been created). Then I noticed that the ME Standard Admin MMC was open. Closed it, and tried installing again.

2nd time, selected WebMail and AntiVirus. Installation worked as expected, except that a reboot was required. I had users and a virtual directory. However, navigating to http://server/MEWebMail/ caused a server timeout.

To resolve the timeout, I made some mods (all to no effect):

* As mentioned before, changed IME_User password and synced it up with IIS
* In the Virtual Directory, tried changing the Anonymous Access user from IME_User to MACHINENAME\IME_User then back again
* Noticed that the Virtual Directory Application name was blank, so I named it "MEWebMail" then back to blank again

At some point during all that, my response went from being a script timeout to being "The server is currently disabled".

Hope that helps somewhat.

Michael

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Michael,

Interested to know the version of webmail your running. Diagnostic Utility will inform of this.

Firstly, the crash on the install should not have happened - and having the MMC open is no big deal either. The installation will merely prompt to replace these files at its completion. Interested to find out why.
Secondly, the name of the web application does not really matter - either way.

First suggestion is: uninstall Professional Edition from Control Panel|Add Remove Programs (this will not interfere with your Standard Edition Installation). Then try to re-install.

Second suggestion is: It would be great if you could send an e-mail to support@mailenable.com. This way we can resolve the issue and post the outcome (placing [DAVE] somewhere in the subject line).

Also,

The installation also creates a Package under COM+/MTS. (You may want to look in the event viewer to see if there are any errors produced by the installation that indicate a failure to create the COM+ Package).
(Component Services Manager can be found under Administrative Tools|Component Services)

The COM+ Package is called Mail Enable, its identity is set to be the IME_ADMIN account and the DLL imported into COM+ is MEAPWMS.DLL.
It may be that there are problems within COM+ - although I cannot see how this could return the error you outlined.

Thx,

Dave

michaely

Post by michaely »

Dave:

(I'm sending a copy of this text to the support email)

According to the Diagnostic Utility:
Standard Version: 1.5010
Professional Version: 0.16
Enterprise Version: 0

As per your suggestion, I uninstalled the ME Pro software, then re-installed. Problem has again become the Script Timeout Issue:
"Error Type:
Active Server Pages, ASP 0113 (0x80004005)
The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.
/mewebmail/base/default/lang/EN/login.asp"

There was nothing in the event log to indicate COM+ problems, however I did find a couple interesting entries:

In the App Log:
"The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application ME Installer: Thread ID: 1716 ,Logged: (Web URI Detection): Invalid procedure call or argument "

In the System Log (the 1st installation attempt when the error occurred -- this didn't occur on any later installation attempts):
"Application popup: ME Installer: MEINST~1.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77fcbac4" referenced memory at "0x00007300". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program "

Thanks for investigating.

Michael

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Michael, finally got an answer on this one.... the current release (there are releases for standard and pro available) resolves this problem. Apparently, the issue was caused by not handling cases where the generated password for the IME_ accounts violated a security policy. This issue should now be resolved. Pls let me know how you go. (ie there should be no more protection fault generated by the installation).... the rest of your issues are most likely effects of this.

Thx, Dave
Regards, Andrew

igormonteiro

Re: Getting "The server is currently disabled" Message

Post by igormonteiro »

Usually this error occurs when some patch is applied on windows server. In my case, I just has to do an iisreset and the environment got normalized.