Shares don't work properly in 2003

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
gtojon

Shares don't work properly in 2003

Post by gtojon »

When trying to connect from my 2003 server to my XP server the shares don't connect from within ME Pro. Sometimes I can't connect with explorer. I have 2 other machines, XP Pro & XP Home, that can connect anytime. I have looked until I'm blue at Microsofts site to no avail. This only needs to work for Webmail.

I have tried NAT addresses, external addresses & bios addresses!

Help! :roll:

Jon

Kiliman

Post by Kiliman »

You're kind of vague about what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm assuming that ME is running on Windows 2003 Server you have it configured to read/write data on Windows XP via file share.

I believe this is a permission issue. By default, the ME services run under the LocalSystem account. It has extensive privileges on the local computer but no rights on the network. This means it does not have access to those shares on the XP machine.

Are you running in a domain or workgroup configuration?

If a domain, create a domain user that has permissions on both the server and XP machine. For a workgroup, create a local user on both machines with the same username and password.

Change the service identity to run under this new account. Make sure you give this user permissions on the share as well as set NTFS permissions on the folder.

Good luck!

Kiliman

gtojon

Post by gtojon »

Thanks for the reply!
I found out that it is a Max connections limit on XP cause my shares to not be available. I have decided to put all of it on my 2003 Web server for now and everything works great except that I have to find out if F-Prot can run as a service.

Thanks again!

Jon
Kiliman wrote:You're kind of vague about what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm assuming that ME is running on Windows 2003 Server you have it configured to read/write data on Windows XP via file share.

I believe this is a permission issue. By default, the ME services run under the LocalSystem account. It has extensive privileges on the local computer but no rights on the network. This means it does not have access to those shares on the XP machine.

Are you running in a domain or workgroup configuration?

If a domain, create a domain user that has permissions on both the server and XP machine. For a workgroup, create a local user on both machines with the same username and password.

Change the service identity to run under this new account. Make sure you give this user permissions on the share as well as set NTFS permissions on the folder.

Good luck!

Kiliman