Auto Response for exernal email end up in the inbox of the domain notification address

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
tsarbiker

Auto Response for exernal email end up in the inbox of the domain notification address

Post by tsarbiker »

Hi,

I have an issue with the auto-response. Internally it works fine, I can send an email to a user with an auto response set and I receive the auto response.
Externally it doesn't work. If I send an email from an hotmail account for example to a user with auto response set in our domain, then the auto response is send but not to the hotmail address, but to the notifications address set for the domain (in my case manager@domain.com).

So the auto response has From correct - user@domain.com
but To is not user@hotmail.com but manager@domain.com

The auto response to sender is set to "Always respond to the sender".

Any idea why ??

I am running version 5.6 of mailenable.
Everything else works like a charm, not error message in diagnose.

Thanks for your help.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Auto Response for exernal email end up in the inbox of the domain notification address

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You need to trace through the SMTP log files to see what is happening when the auto response message is being sent out to the Hotmail recipient. Maybe its failing to send to Hotmail or they are rejecting the auto response message and thus bouncing to the postmaster address.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tsarbiker

Re: Auto Response for exernal email end up in the inbox of the domain notification address

Post by tsarbiker »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was on holiday.
I checked the logs and there is absolutely nothing happening when I a mail from outside our domain.
The only place I can find a reference to that mail is in the PostOffice logs.

09/19/16 06:59:00 [07FF24D279FD436AAB27E0EDAC8AD9C5.MAI] Delivered message from [SMTP:x@domain.com] to PO=domain MBX=manager FLD=\Inbox

The from (x@domain.com) is the user that send the auto response. For some reason it is directly send to manager which is the domain notification address.

From inside, the auto response is well sent and it is logged in the smtp.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Are you able to email from Hotmail to a mailbox without an auto response action enabled to see if the message from Hotmail hits the server?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

tsarbiker

Post by tsarbiker »

Hi,

With or without auto response set, all incoming mails are well received in the inbox.
So all mails are well sent and received for all users except for the auto response that should be sent externally but is directly send to the domain notification address. Really weird.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

To determine what is happening we would need to trace through the log files from when the original message comes in from the external sender, to when the auto response is being generated. Perhaps log a support ticket via the MailEnable support form and provide access to the server and details of the sender/recipient of the message so that a technician can login and trace through the relevant log files.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

uponline

Post by uponline »

Hy
Can you maybe post your solution? We have the same issue, all internale autorespont messages are working, but external not. Normal Mail-Delivery works fine.

I checked the logs but until now i did not found the solution.

Problem:
Autoresponter to external Domains are not working. Internal works fine. Normal Maildelivery works fine.

Thanks!

manuelw

Post by manuelw »

Same issue here. Can you post your solution?
gmail sign up https://www.just4dummies.com/gmail-sign-up