Email Account keeps locking - no entry in smtp logs???

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
BCPlus

Email Account keeps locking - no entry in smtp logs???

Post by BCPlus »

This one has me stumped. MY email account keeps locking - has been going on for 3 days, random times - maybe 12 times per work day. THERE IS NO ENTRY IN THE SMTP ACTIVITY LOG. How can this be?

I'm using Professional 9.53 - I'm totally familiar with using the log file to locate the hacker IP and block it - have been doing it for years with Mailenable. I have never run into this before.

I need help - this does NOT make sense - where is this coming from? And how to troubleshoot?

I've even restarted Mailenable and restarted the server. I show no rogue processes and a scan comes out clean. Server 2012 R2 on VMware. NO other symptoms are present - everything running as it ought to.

Ideas anyone?

Stumped in Fresno,CA.

Brett Rowbotham

Re: Email Account keeps locking - no entry in smtp logs???

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

The account can also get locked if, for instance, the incorrect POP (and probably other) password is entered three times in a row. Seen this happening with one of our employees who can't seem to remember any passwords at all.

Cheers,
Brett

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Email Account keeps locking - no entry in smtp logs???

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You need to also inspect the POP and IMAP log files as Brett has mentioned. Invalid web mail login attempts can also lockout the user. However if the web mail logging is not enabled then you wont know. You can enable the web mail logging within the web mail properties node in the administration console under the "Logging" tab. You might also want to upgrade to version 9.78 since 9.53 is outdated and requires updates to MailEnable core services.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support