MailEnable on a Dedicated Server with 1&1, Can't get SMTP to work properly

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
brentclark2003

MailEnable on a Dedicated Server with 1&1, Can't get SMTP to work properly

Post by brentclark2003 »

I'm quite new to Dedicated Servers and i'm trying to host my own mail server with DS at 1&1.

I've setuped MailEnable for my domain name, created my mailboxes, and setuped my Outlook to try to reach the server. Each time outlook try to contact the smtp server, after a moment, Outlook tell me: "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server". The POP and SMTP are setuped with the same name (i didn't created subdomains yet for that like pop.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com). I'm trying to make it work on regular port (25), but i would also like to make it work on port 587 (that will be another thread for port specific).

Anyone can help me to see why it's not connecting to the SMTP? MailEnable SMTP Connector service is Running. Do i have to Start Windows "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)" service or it will create a conflict with MailEnable? Even if i enable it, Outlook still give me that error message. It's not caused because i have a wrong authentication, because it need to be able to reach the server first to authenticate...

Port 25 is opened, because when i go to CanYouSeeMe.org and test it, it tell me "I can see your service on <IP> on port (25). Your ISP is not blocking port 25".

Thanks for your help

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: MailEnable on a Dedicated Server with 1&1, Can't get SMTP to work properly

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Are you able to telnet from the client machine running Outlook to the MailEnable server on port 25? If so what is the SMTP response you see in the telnet test?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support