block incoming email to an address that doesn't exist

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
philip.arny

block incoming email to an address that doesn't exist

Post by philip.arny »

Hello!

I want to block or quarantine any incoming email addressed to someone who doesn't exist in our local postoffice.

Can I do this in MailEnable? I've looked in the SMTP settings, which seems the logical place, and I've looked into filter options, which seems the second most logical place, and I can't see a way to do this.

I think I read somewhere that I can do this in mailenable, but I can't find that now.

Any suggestions, Please? Thanks.

Nick Sticks

Re: block incoming email to an address that doesn't exist

Post by Nick Sticks »

To block an email address that doesn't exist in your domain go to SMTP Properties and select the Blocked Address tab, then add the email address.
The domain must be local, i.e. set up in one of your Post Offices.

Using Filters you would do a check for "Where the To header line contains specific words" and add the email address in the short word list. Don't forget to put an asterix (*) either side of the email address.
You can then set the Actions to "Copy the message to the Quarantine directory" and/or "Delete Message".

philip.arny

Post by philip.arny »

Ah, ok. I was hoping MailEnable had an option hidden somewhere to compare incoming email to existing mailboxes and refuse or quarantine any email addressed to a non-existing mailbox. I don't much want to have to maintain my own filter with all our valid email addresses! Ah well. Thanks.

Philip

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

If the email address being sent to does not exist on your server, the email will any case not be received UNLESS you have a catch-all address specified, in which case all email to non-existent addresses will end up in the specified mail box, OR if you allow SMTP relay for non-local addresses which will get you on to a blacklist very quickly.

Using the Blocked Address tab is overkill as you can never be certain what addresses will be sent to. Also it is pointless to filter as the emails to non-existent addresses get blocked at the SMTP level and not at the MTA level which is where the filters operate.

Cheers,
Brett

philip.arny

Post by philip.arny »

Thanks. That makes sense. I don't believe we have a catchall enabled, I'll check. Now I just need to figure out why some valid incoming email is getting rejected by MailEnable! I'll spend some more time with the logs...

Philip