MTA Pickup Event 'technique'

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
Goose

MTA Pickup Event 'technique'

Post by Goose »

I'm thinking about writing a event filter to gather statistics from my mail server and I'm wondering how to have the program stay in memory.

I could call it using the "program messagefilename connectortype" as given in the VB example but that seems wasteful. I would have thought that having the program running all the time, perhaps as a service, would be much the best idea.

So, two problems really...

How to write a program that stays loaded that gets called very time the event fires (This would be phase one as I assume it relies on the user being logged in)

How to write a stub that is called by the event handler that in turn calls the Windows service that the main body of the statistical analysis is performed in.

I'll use C# as that is what I know least and seems like a bit of fun... Famous last words!

I'm sure anyone who has written an MTA event pickup program has looked through the available options here, anyone fancy giving me some pointers?

Cheers,

Goose

Kiliman

Post by Kiliman »

See my post http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?t=5229

I wrote a framework for creating Filters that load as .NET Assemblies or VB6 COM components, so they run in-proc in stead of out-of-proc.

Kiliman

Goose

Post by Goose »

Kiliman, thanks, I'll go have a look....