Support for sending to user@[1.2.3.4]

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
Crazyyeti

Support for sending to user@[1.2.3.4]

Post by Crazyyeti » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 am

I first wrote about this topic here in 2007. Silence since then. For testing mail servers I occasionaly need to send to an address like userID@[1.2.3.4] i.e. using a bracketed IP address instead of a domain name since it is a test server not in DNS. This has been supported in RFC 821, RFC 2821, and RFC 5321 since 1982. Doesn't anybody at Mail Enable read the RFCs? You make a fine product, but when you fail to support basic (if infrequently used) functionality, after many years of suggestions to this effect, that is just silly. Color me unhappy and looking for another mailer.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Support for sending to user@[1.2.3.4]

Post by MailEnable » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:08 am

MailEnable does do this (and has done so since version 1).

The feature allows you to address local IP addresses, but it does not allow you to relay through to foreign IP Addresses - ie: the address must be a local address.

It is referred to as "Domain Literal" support and is defined under the SMTP/Security tab.
It is turned off by default - primarily as a security measure because it is often exploited by spammers (the profile of spam has increased since those RFCs you mention were written - hence it is disabled by default).
Typically spammers will hit postmaster@[yourip], etc.

Enabling Domain Literals is done via the MMC - or this reg key SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\CONNECTORS\SMTP::Allow Domain Literals - 1 denotes enabled.
Regards, Andrew

Crazyyeti

Re: Support for sending to user@[1.2.3.4]

Post by Crazyyeti » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 am

Yes, I know about the Domain Literals setting. That was the first thing I tried. I discovered that only allows ME to _receive_ emails addressed as user@[1.2.3.4]. You say it only works for 'Local Addresses'. What are they? I assume you mean any/all of the IPs assigned to the machine ME is running on? That's not useful. Even you admit setting Domain Literals doesn't allow ME to do forwwarding onwards, which is exactly what I want/need ME to do.

This is my test case scenario: I want to create a message in my regular mail client (on machine1) addressed to
something@[1.2.3.4] (on machine3). My mail client is of course configured to connect to ME (on machine2) to send outgoing mail. I want ME to receive this mail and send it onwards (to machine3). I can, of course, change my mail client to point directly to machine3 leaving ME totally out of the picture, but that is a hassle to change/change back each time I want to test. I don't want to have 2 mail clients. Anyway, if I stop ME on machine2 and startup IIS SMTPSVC or any of several other mail server applications, all of them will accept and forward onwards my email as above addressed as something@[1.2.3.4]. But ME won't do this. This is my objection. Why can't ME do what many other mail server applications do? Is this an argument about interpretation of standards? An anti-spamming measure?

In most cases, I'm working in a closed environment with private IP addresses so I am not concerned about receiving spam. I work for a company, makers of an email list managment application. I need to be able to test/send emails in a variety of ways, some of them perhaps 'illegal' in terms of standards in order to test the behavior of our application. ME has a lot of very nice features and we often recommend to customers to use ME as their mailer of choice for use with our application, since it can handle the POP3, webmail, as well as high volume outgoing SMTP. But it is annoying when I can't use the same mailer for internal testing.