Global Address List Configuration

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
plattnat

Global Address List Configuration

Post by plattnat »

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to configure a GAL on mailenable Enterprise for use with Outlook 2007 upto and including 2013, I'm finding it a bit hard to follow some of the posts and the documentation for the software isn't great.

Any basic guidance on how to do this? Do I need to use LDAP to do this, and if so do I need to worry about how AD is using LDAP as well?

Any help would be great, thanks

Nathan

rfwilliams777

Re: Global Address List Configuration

Post by rfwilliams777 »

As far as I know of, you cannot do a global address book via Outlook and the mail server. Webmail has a global contacts you can share with other global contacts. To share Outlook contacts, use a third party program like Code Two Public Folders.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

aahq

Post by aahq »

If you are talking about setting up so that your Mail Enable Address List (i.e. GAL) comes up first it is all done from the "address book" in Outlook. In there the order of the Mail Lists is set and "Mail Enable Address List". Nothing special needs to be done to get this in Outlook.

plattnat

Post by plattnat »

aahq, would i need to enable anything to get this to show? Do i need to open LDAP to do this or is it just as simple as pointing the address book at the DNS entry for the mailserver?
aahq wrote:If you are talking about setting up so that your Mail Enable Address List (i.e. GAL) comes up first it is all done from the "address book" in Outlook. In there the order of the Mail Lists is set and "Mail Enable Address List". Nothing special needs to be done to get this in Outlook.

aahq

Post by aahq »

send me an email at aahq@hotmail.com and I will give you some screenshots of where to go.

Scott

plattnat

Post by plattnat »

Hi Scott,

Are you still able to help me with this?

Nathan

plattnat

Post by plattnat »

I've managed to configure this now so I can search using LDAP, is there anyway to change this to behave more list a GAL, do I have use a different protocol. I can't use the Outlook connector on this system. Anyone who can help I'll appreciate it!

aahq

Post by aahq »

Its an address book thing... Play around in the Address Book area of outlook and in there is an option to push up the Mail Enable GAL to the top of the list.

You are using the "Mail Enable Connector" and not standard IMAP right?

Scott