Bad Mail after Hard Drive failure

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Ehenzel1978

Bad Mail after Hard Drive failure

Post by Ehenzel1978 »

Hi Guys,

The hard Drive that contained my message store crashed and burned yesterday morning, and while I was in the process of getting the backup online, all the incoming mail ended up in the bad mail folder. Is there anyway I can get those messages to go where they are supposed to? I'm hoping I don't have to do it by hand, there are several hundred of them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Eric Henzel
IT Department
Leather Italia USA

lowcountrytoday

Re: Bad Mail after Hard Drive failure

Post by lowcountrytoday »

I have in the past copied all the contents of C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bad Mail to C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Quarantine and then copied all the the contents from C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bad Mail\Messages to C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Quarantine\Messages and then refreshed the Quarantine in the MailenableAdmin and then selected the emails and let them go out of the Quarantine. You may need to use your directories paths depending on your install.

Ehenzel1978

Post by Ehenzel1978 »

Actually, I solved this right after I posted. A light bulb went off in my head. Doesn't happen very often, mind you, but it was very bright. 100 watt spotlight kind of a thing.

I enabled the drop folder in the SMTP properties, then I moved all of the mail in the bad mail folder to the Drop folder on the hard drive with windows explorer. Now they are all pushing through the system and showing up appropriately time stamped in my users inboxes.

YAY!

I will say, if you have a situation like mine were your message store HDD dies, DO NOT try to connect to a backup over the network. It will not work, even though all the responses from your ME server say it should be.
Eric Henzel
IT Department
Leather Italia USA

aahq

Post by aahq »

I use a product called fastcopy to sync my postoffice and config structure to another server every hour.

Its nots so intrusive as you would think. To resync about 700Gb for 500 users each hour takes about 20 mins so I am only every about an hour behind on my mail.

When I changed mail servers I did it this way as well with absolutely zero issues with mailboxes.

http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

batch file I use is below (change drive path, share names, server names etc to suit yourself)

I also recommend Clustering Synology 1513+ NAS on top of this safe guard, and tape backup your stuff nightly...

-----------
del f:\fcback\fcback.txt

"C:\Program Files\FastCopy\fastcopy.exe" /cmd=sync /force_close /open_window /no_confirm_del /no_confirm_stop /logfile=f:\fcback\fcback.txt /force_start /disk_mode=diff "D:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\config" /to=\\<server>\backup2\meconfig

"C:\Program Files\FastCopy\fastcopy.exe" /cmd=sync /force_close /open_window /no_confirm_del /no_confirm_stop /logfile=f:\fcback\fcback.txt /force_start /disk_mode=diff f:\me2 /to=\\<server>\backup2\me2
c:\mailsend\mesend.exe /H:<mail server> /F:noreply@savanvegas.com /T:x@x.com /A:f:\fcback\fcback.txt /N:fcback.txt /S: %time% Daily Mail Backup - see attached. If failed or more than 10 errors report to Helpdesk Manager