getting 220*******

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
LuisN

getting 220*******

Post by LuisN »

Hey guys, 1st time post after searching every for this.

i have several Windows servers that connect to my MailEnable relay server and can connect , mail out just fine. BUT i have 1 server which is on a different subnet, (can connect just fine via 587 and all ports even 25) BUT all of a sudden this server is , hmm not sure i can say "blocked" or access denied b/c the subnet is in the grant list.

Now, when i telnet to the box on port 25, i get 220********** and any command says bad command.

If i try the same thing from other boxes, same port. i get 220 welcome to smtp.(domain).com etc etc etc..

IF i block the server and add him to the deny list, and i try to telnet to port 25, i dont get the 220***** anymore i get the normal welcome smtp.etc etc BUT access denied.

what gives? what all of a sudden changed?

1 thing i did notice, if i enable port 587, and i telnet there it works just FINE. no 220**** but the normal 220 welcome etc. i've been at this for 24 hours already. much help appreciated!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: getting 220*******

Post by Admin »

Hi,

If you see something like

220 ********************************

This would mean a Cisco firewall is protecting the SMTP service. Unfortunately this will block things like authentication. Please see:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=me020159

LuisN

Re: getting 220*******

Post by LuisN »

its open to all internal networks. other servers in the same subnet are fine. let me triple check