Filtering SPAM in MailEnable

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
roliw

Filtering SPAM in MailEnable

Post by roliw »

Hello,

It seems, that MailEnable has a big deficit in filtering E-Mails.
Last weekend I've retired my 20 year old iMail server and have moved all my accounts to MailEnable.
Since then I drown in SPAM. iMail had an excellent and very accurate filter system.
Has anybody found a way to filter out RFC 2047 coded subject lines?

Even filtering the "X-ME-SPAM" subject works not reliable.

Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!
-Roland

scotty562

Re: Filtering SPAM in MailEnable

Post by scotty562 »

What has worked for me is setting up SNIMTA. Every day I'd log onto each of my users email accounts and look for junk. I'd then add keywords to the bannedkeywords file until eventually the spam essentially stopped (I have it simply deleting the spam). Setting up country code blacklists helps a lot too with dealing with emails from Russia and South America.

roliw

Post by roliw »

scotty562 wrote:What has worked for me is setting up SNIMTA. Every day I'd log onto each of my users email accounts and look for junk. I'd then add keywords to the bannedkeywords file until eventually the spam essentially stopped (I have it simply deleting the spam). Setting up country code blacklists helps a lot too with dealing with emails from Russia and South America.
Hello,

Thank you very much for your help!
I have found the SNIMA Page on the web and will now install this software.
Will hold you informed.
Best regards,
Roland

roliw

Post by roliw »

scotty562 wrote:What has worked for me is setting up SNIMTA. Every day I'd log onto each of my users email accounts and look for junk. I'd then add keywords to the bannedkeywords file until eventually the spam essentially stopped (I have it simply deleting the spam). Setting up country code blacklists helps a lot too with dealing with emails from Russia and South America.
Hello,
No, it doesn't works.
As long as the mail is not RFC 2047 coded it works as a charm, in spite of them that the
programm is over 16 years old and will find instead of .net 1.1 the .net 2.0 compatible
.net 3.5.

Thank you very much
Roland

roliw

Post by roliw »

roliw wrote:Hello,

It seems, that MailEnable has a big deficit in filtering E-Mails.
Last weekend I've retired my 20 year old iMail server and have moved all my accounts to MailEnable.
Since then I drown in SPAM. iMail had an excellent and very accurate filter system.
Has anybody found a way to filter out RFC 2047 coded subject lines?

Even filtering the "X-ME-SPAM" subject works not reliable.

Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!
-Roland
Had great help from MailEnable support. :D

Have since a long time installed SpamAssassin in a Box and have used the wrong filter criteria
in the mailbox filter to sort out SpamAssassins ratings.

Instead of “Where a message header contains specific words” I've used “Where the Subject
header line contains specific words”

Typical screen not read error.

In spite of them all, it would be nice, if the mailbox filter could :D decode coded E-Mail
headers.

Thanks again to MailEnable support.
- Roland

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

It would had been nice if ME could had bought out MXSCan before they went out of business. Although some features were the same, there are a LOT of benefits MXScan has with their spam filtering including adjusting it for in and outbound messages, per post office levels, better whitelist and black list, and helps with Backscatter and whatnot. I have offered ME to have a copy of the MXScan folder to reverse engineer their software.

Your SNIMTA looks intriguing but concerns me with its way old .net framework and that it has to have someone prepare lists of bad keywords. When my server receives on average 7000 emails a day with hundreds of mail accounts, I do not have time to create lists.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!