Filtering at Server/Domain/User Levels not working

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
DavidLeNorman

Filtering at Server/Domain/User Levels not working

Post by DavidLeNorman »

I searched the forums (and Google) extensively on the issues with filtering on ME Enterprise version 10.28. After a lot of reading and checking items, I am still having issues. First, the license key is valid and active.

After setting up the server and monitoring it's functionality, I tried to implement some simple filters I used on my old server platform Axigen. I configured two filters for a couple of key accounts. The are described below:

A) If biguser@example.com RECEIVES a message I wanted a copy also delivered to biguserbak@example.com. I setup a filter at the postoffice level of example.com that: Enable- Where TO or CC header line contains specific words (biguser@example.com; Action- Forward message to specified recipient (biguserbak@example.com. (yes everthing is "enabled")

B) If biguser@example.com SENDS a message I wanted a copy also delivered to biguserbak@example.com. I setup a filter at the postoffice level of example.com that: Enable- Where FROM header line contains specific words (biguser@example.com; Action- Forward message to specified recipient (biguserbak@example.com.

A works, B does not. Same effect at mailbox level.

Then I noticed something odd. The MTAFIlter-Report log does not log filter actions at all. I must have run about 25 or 30 test emails through. ME will only log when filter changes are made, but not the actual filter actions. Not even the successful ones. Sample of the log below.

====================

Time Action MessageID Connector Filter Result Account Sender IPAddress Data Subject
01/08/20 20:49:06 Start - - - - - - - -
01/08/20 20:49:06 ME-I0073: MEW2KDNS Initialized to use DNS Servers (192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8)
01/08/20 20:50:38 End - - - - - - - -
Time Action MessageID Connector Filter Result Account Sender IPAddress Data Subject
01/08/20 20:50:49 Start - - - - - - - -
01/08/20 20:50:49 ME-I0073: MEW2KDNS Initialized to use DNS Servers (192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8)
01/08/20 20:52:12 Start - - - - - - - -
01/08/20 20:52:12 ME-I0073: MEW2KDNS Initialized to use DNS Servers (192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8)
01/08/20 21:06:47 Reloading filters due to change.
01/08/20 21:19:26 Reloading filters due to change.
01/08/20 21:28:44 Reloading filters due to change.
01/08/20 22:00:00 Reloading filters due to change.
======================

I can see in the MTA logs where the engine appears to resolve the email addresses (biguserbak@example.com), but nothing is done. The filter fails and the actions are not performed. I checked that Filter was enabled by checking the box in Messaging Manager> Severs> Localhost> MessageFilers> Propertie> EnableFilterActivityLogging

I have no pickup events.

I am an experienced user. I even ran the MEinstaller utility to make sure all the permissions, etc were correct. I ran the MEdiag utility and except for a couple minor warnings (activesync not activated), everything. including the filters section. is all green. So if the logs are not giving me any direction, does anyone have suggestions on what steps to take next?

David LeNorman
claims@alaska.net

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Filtering at Server/Domain/User Levels not working

Post by Admin »

The postoffice and mailbox levels filters are for inbound emails arriving to a mailbox. So when an email is being delivered, it will process the postoffice level filters and then the mailbox filters. It does not apply mailbox and postoffice filters to emails being sent out by a mailbox in a postoffice. If you want to apply a filter to email passing through the server, then you would do a global filter, and check the sender address, something like shown at:

https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020645