Attachment with period filtered

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
SkullCo

Attachment with period filtered

Post by SkullCo »

We're implementing a new phone system that sends voicemails as attachments through e-mail. The problem is that the attachment file names contain periods embedded in the name such as:

9517855999_03-04_15.33.PM.wav

When I log onto the webmail, I can see and download the attachments. But when I download them to Outlook, the attachment is missing. If I forward them from the webmail to an account running on Exchange server, the attachments download fine in Outlook.

I believe the attachments are being filtered out when downloading from Mailenable via POP or IMAP. I know there is a way to filter out certain attachment types. Is there any way to explicitly allow these attachments, or at least a way to re-write the attachment names to replace the periods with dashes so they will download?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Attachment with period filtered

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

There are no default filters in MailEnable that remove attachments from emails. You need to create them manually and they are executed by the MTA agent when messages are routed to their destinations queues.

Sounds like the issue is more IMAP or POP. We would need access to the messages to check further. Best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket and provide an example message. Also are you running the latest version of MailEnable Enterprise 10.29?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

SkullCo

Re: Attachment with period filtered

Post by SkullCo »

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently at 10.27 - I plan on upgrading this weekend to see if that changes anything.

Through additional testing I have found that other e-mail clients don't have that problem, just Outlook so far. I also found 1 reference to someone with a problem with Outlook receiving attachments containing multiple periods in the name, but the fix didn't apply to the versions we are running.

I'll do the upgrade this weekend and see if it helps. I'm also investigating some scripts that may be able to rewrite the filename. If I don't have any luck I'll open up a ticket.