SPF enforcement to prevent spoofing

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sagelike

SPF enforcement to prevent spoofing

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

Is there a way to configure SPF so that it enforces SPF for email to a domain from the same domain?

Outlook enforces SPF so that email from the same domain is rejected which prevents spoofing which is becoming a real problem.

Any insights on how to better prevent spoofing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
G

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: SPF enforcement to prevent spoofing

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The SMTP security settings for "Address Spoofing" will help prevent sender address spoofing. It does this by enforcing inbound authentication when the envelope sender address of the message is a local address and is trying to send to another locally domain.

Please see:

Code: Select all

https://www.mailenable.com/documentation/10.0/Enterprise/SMTP_props_-Security.html
- Address Spoofing
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

sagelike

Re: SPF enforcement to prevent spoofing

Post by sagelike »

Thanks Ian. I enabled Authenticated senders can spoof sender address just after I wrote this.

I recall trying that 10 or more years ago and it created all kinds of problems as back then many clients used their local ISP to send emails on their domains behalf. No one uses those settings anymore so I figured it wouldn't be a problem this time and so far it hasn't.

I expect there will be a few users waiting to receive email from their copiers, etc. and can't. They will just have to update their settings this time.

Thanks
G