IME_ users on login screen on WinXP

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
mp303

IME_ users on login screen on WinXP

Post by mp303 »

On the WinXP login screen, the IME_USER and IME_ADMIN users are shown, as if you could use them to log onto the machine - which of course you can't. Why are they shown? Any way to remove them? (without damaging functionality of course ;) )

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

You can disable the welcome screen in XP to display the Users configured on your machine. To do this navigate to Control panel>Users and open the options screen. Here you will be able to disable/enable the welcome screen.

Regards,

mp303

Post by mp303 »

Yes, that'll work, but what I meant was, why are they logon accounts and not just local users? (which wouldn't be shown on the logon screen)

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

These accounts are assigned the "User can Login Locally" right (because they need this right in the way the operate as services). I would guess XP therefore adds them to the list of "logonable" users.

I presume your testing on XP rather than intending to deploy it.
Regards, Andrew

mp303

Post by mp303 »

Yes, I see - nevermind then, for safety I should set security policy to log on with ctrl+alt+del anyways :)
MailEnable wrote:I presume your testing on XP rather than intending to deploy it.
We're past testing/evaluation, and we were very happy with the results :) ... we've bought the enterprise license - I'm deploying on Win XP Pro now.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Windows XP is not named in MailEnable Ent. s/w requirements and is not recommended because there are limitations imposed by desktop based operating system versions that impose limitations.

http://www.iisfaq.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2596

I think there are other limitations also, perhaps even some licensing restrictions.
Regards, Andrew

mp303

Post by mp303 »

huh?

but you list Win XP on the platform requirements page on your site:

http://www.mailenable.com/requirements.asp

the only limitation I know of, is that Win XP Pro can only host a single website (like it says on the page you referred me to above) - which is not a problem, because I only need to host the webmail on this machine and nothing else...

other than that, I don't know what sort of limitations you expect me to run into? everything has worked like a charm so far - I've encountered no errors and only minor problems that I've had time to resolve.

should I be worried about anything specific?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The page mentioned only makes reference to std and pro editions.

Vaguely I remember something about limiting the number of concurrent inbound connections to the server. I am fairly confident that IIS on 2K/XP Pro only supports 10 concurrent connections/sessions.
Regards, Andrew

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Also see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122920

I assume this applies for XP Pro also.

May also want to review the XP EULA since it will explain any licensing constraints
Regards, Andrew

mp303

Post by mp303 »

MailEnable wrote:The page mentioned only makes reference to std and pro editions.
well, since there were no requirements listed for enterprise specifically, I just assumed they were the same... and pro has webmail as well - so why do you recommend XP for pro but not for enterprise?
MailEnable wrote:Vaguely I remember something about limiting the number of concurrent inbound connections to the server. I am fairly confident that IIS on 2K/XP Pro only supports 10 concurrent connections/sessions.
yes, I can see that now - I had no idea. I hope you plan on updating that page with the system requirements for the pro and enterprise edition? otherwise I probably won't be the last person to run into these ugly micro$oft limitations...

I guess we'll have to set up a Win2k3 server after all, reinstalling and reconfiguring everything again ... painful :(

well, good thing we caught this before putting this server into production with 400 mail accounts today - at least I'll only have to deal with one angry boss and not a few hundred angry customers...

Kiliman

Post by Kiliman »

Anyway, to get back to the specific question: How do you hide accounts from the XP Welcome Screen?

This article explains the registry entry needed to hide accounts.

http://www.petri.co.il/hide_a_user_from ... ows_xp.htm

Good luck!

Kiliman

mp303

Post by mp303 »

well, thanks - but as said, I'll have to reinstall under 2k3, and it doesn't have a welcome screen ;)