Delete a postoffice does not clean up fully

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
MartynK

Delete a postoffice does not clean up fully

Post by MartynK »

Hi,

I just deleted an old postoffice which still had a domain, mailboxes and email in, it got deleted OK from the main postoffice directory, but:

1. It did not delete the audit from the config directory (I did this manually).
2. it did not delete the ActiveSync details on the devices tab (I did this manually).
3. My licenses consumed in ActiveSync did not decrease by one, dont know how to get my license back.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Delete a postoffice does not clean up fully

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi Martyn,
1. It did not delete the audit from the config directory (I did this manually)
It wont remove this data. This needs to be done manually.
2. it did not delete the ActiveSync details on the devices tab (I did this manually).
Same as above or use the Active Management utility and remove under the "Devices" tab.
3. My licenses consumed in ActiveSync did not decrease by one, dont know how to get my license back.
http://www.mailenable.com/activesync/EAS_Licensing.pdf
5 Frequently Asked Questions
5.1 Can dormant licenses be reclaimed when I renew?
Yes, any dormant licenses (mailboxes that no longer require access via ActiveSync) will be discarded at
commencement of a new license term (of 12 months).
Once consumed, a license remains consumed to the end of the current twelve month validity of the license. If the
user who consumed the license ceases to make use of it, it cannot be reclaimed or reused by another user in the
same twelve month period.
When a license renewal is purchased, all consumed licenses are reset, and become available for consumption once
again.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

OK, so I go with the first bits, but the EAS licenses.

So are you saying that if a licence is allocated to someone in a company and they leave, that license cannot be reused for someone else ?

If I have two postoffices for one company and I want to switch between the two I cannot do that ?

So in essence the licence is a throw away as soon as its been allocated once ?

If so IMHO thats totally wrong !!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi Martyn,

Unfortunately this problem is imposed by Microsoft's Licenses Terms for Exchange ActiveSync Protocol. Once a mailbox license is "burned", then the license cannot be reallocated to another user within the annual license period. IE: As wrong as it is, it is an imposed and rigid constraint associated with licensing the protocol.

It is obviously more difficult to track allocations at a per-user basis (both from a license admin and management perspective). We really would prefer to use a pooled approach (as you suggest) - it just cannot happen though.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Maybe different, but I use both BlackBerry BES and GOOD for Enterprise servers in the office and those are pooled when attaching to a Exchange Server.

I did not think that anything MailEnable was tied to Microsoft, so to use the ActiveSync protocol these are the terms, interesting and costly for small companies then.