Spam Filter Recommendations (MXUptime Discontinued)

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
rfwilliams777

Spam Filter Recommendations (MXUptime Discontinued)

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Although dated, I just noticed that MXScan (from MXUptime) will be discontinuing their product and support. This puts me in a very bad position as I enjoyed much of their customizations that I can make to the filtering. It has a number of features that I wished MailEnable had. Below are a list of features I liked in MXUptime and would like to know if these are found in MailEnable (comparable), will soon be implemented, or will never exist. I am having to scale back my involvement with MXScan's software and attempt to integrate it with ME to see how much "damage" with the loss of this program.

1. Whitelist/blacklist - At present, without setting up a filter (which is a global setting), there are no whitelisting or blacklisting of domains but only IP addresses. I found whitelisting domains to be VERY beneficial as many businesses have switched to using Google or Microsoft to host their email (with their own domain) and as we know they have many servers with many IP addresses. So whitelisting or blacklisting individual IP addresses or even class C blocks would be virtually impossible. What do we have in ME that can do the same...again without the limited capabilities in the Filters area of the administration?

2. It (MXscan) uses 2 antivirus methods but they had preferred Avast over Clam because it was more effective. Agrred Avast was most effective. It may not catch all of the ransomware, but it certainly captured a heck a lot of viruses that otherwise would had gone into an Inbox.

3. Some of the other spam filter--sanes security and others--were through MXScan. But ME does not have it.

Lastly, I would like to know of suggested filter programs. SpamWord appears to be out of the question given their very antiquated and overly complicated method for spam filtering. I need someone just as simple and powerful as MXScan (even if I have to pay for it) that I can modify and adjust globally and at the domain/post office levels. I also need something that I can view the spam queue that in event of bottlenecking I can force messages through to avoid a server failing (like I used to have before).
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

kiamori

Re: Spam Filter Recommendations (MXUptime Discontinued)

Post by kiamori »

spam assassin + URLDBL + DNSBL + Bayesian + phrase list + SPF Check + Country check,

Create filter that takes into account all of these results then filter as needed, only about 2% of the spam makes it through these filters.

Here is a good list for urldbl and dnsbl's
http://multirbl.valli.org

A good phrase list with wildcards is key.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

ME offers SPF checking, but the others would be great as there are country origins that are rather high for spamming.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

cfdynamics

Post by cfdynamics »

This is really not kool that MXScan is going away.

Wondering the best way to implement AV scanning in a Mailenable clustered environment. With MXScan it has been very simple. Write the inbound mail to a folder, MXScan does it's thing and then drops the messages back into the queue.
Kent Runyan
CFDynamics.com
Providing World Class Hosting Solutions for over two decades.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

If you are currently using ClamAV in MXScan, ME does use that. Whether that is really good or not, I will not say. But if you are like me and you are using Avast, allegedly under the Servers-->localhost-->Extension-->Message Filter, view the Properties for MailEnable Antivirus Filter, scroll all the way down the applications until it says "Resident Scanner" and enable that. You are welcome to also keep Clam enabled just in case.
Robert Williams, Owner

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

also, for antivirus. nothing works better than sophos

bitechbobbrenner

Post by bitechbobbrenner »

We have been using MagicSpam for spam and have been VERY satisfied. As for virus we are using ClamAV installed within ME.

http://www.magicspam.com/

jeffhsu

Post by jeffhsu »

It also caused me a lot of problems with MXuptime gone
Till now I still find ME after 10 version is not interface friendly, I just want a tool to create, manage, report easily
Most of time, I just use basic features

MXuptime auto blocks of 10000+ with the filtering of Keyword, SaneSecurity, Country Filter, Sniffer, RDNS Blacklist, URI Blacklist, SpamAssassin, DCC, SenderBase, BackScatter, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit for about 80 domains, 1000 users activity in one of my email server
It filters the Spam emails, that can block 50-80% spam for me daily.

There is a nice Log Viewer to state daily SMTP email records (time, sender, recipient, subject, etc) clearly, with Pass or quarantine status
It is so hard to read any logs in ME. A lot of times, I do not know where to search for simple information or records.
There is a Quarantine Manager easily release or delete captured spam based on post office
there is a daily email report of activities, with all the post office messages, count, Pass, spam, virus, data transfer with
Total Number of Messages Processed, Spam Ratio, Passed, Spam (Low/Medium/High), Virus
Messages Ignored, Blacklisted, Whitelisted, Average Processing Time/Msg, Average Message Size, Total Bandwidth

Can Anyone recommend an equivalent spam filtering and reporting tool?

Can anyone share the effectiveness of ME own filtering or other tools like MagicSpam?

bitechbobbrenner

Our biggest spam are what we call the junk domains like .attorney so we updated a script within ME and what a DIFFERENCE!!!.

Open the smtp service properties.

Go to Advanced SMTP.
Click on Configure under External Script.
Check the box to enable script function for mail from.
Click Edit Script.

//// Sorry but the forum only allows fro 60000 characters and the script is 91218. Send me a PM if you want the script and I'll set it up for downloading.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

bitechbobbrenner wrote:Our biggest spam are what we call the junk domains like .attorney so we updated a script within ME and what a DIFFERENCE!!!.

Open the smtp service properties.

Go to Advanced SMTP.
Click on Configure under External Script.
Check the box to enable script function for mail from.
Click Edit Script.

//// Sorry but the forum only allows fro 60000 characters and the script is 91218. Send me a PM if you want the script and I'll set it up for downloading.
You can go under filters and create a filter that any sender (From) that has ".attorney" and then set the action to "delete". I've done it and it works well.
Robert Williams, Owner

bitechbobbrenner

You can go under filters and create a filter that any sender (From) that has ".attorney" and then set the action to "delete". I've done it and it works well.
You are correct and we have tried that but found it unpractical with the quantity we need to block. Our vb script contains 273 domain extensions and 268 domain country codes extensions totaling 541 junk/trash/spamers. CPU and memory inst even an issue running it. We have been running it now for about nine months without any customer complaints only thanks. Looking at the daily SMPT-Activity log its blocking 3000± junk messages a day for us. Over the past 10+ years running ME we have found combining the script with MagicSpam has been our best defense for the past 8+ months.

tomr

Post by tomr »

I also use mxscan. I have disabled Spamasassin, DCC, and MXuptime sender base and Mxuptime URL blacklist.
I also use MessageSNF with Mxsan. It stopped updaing but I was able to write a script and schedule it every 4 hours so it now gets updated.
Avast Anti-virus, Content filtering, IP blocking, Spam Trap, whitelist/blacklist still all work. It is my understanding it will continue to work even after December 1st.

I have turned on spamassin within mailenable. At least with ME version 9.XX It continues...

-tom

cfdynamics

Post by cfdynamics »

I was able to update my Message Sniffer subscription with these guys: www.mailsbestfriend.com

MXScan is running as normal and no issues so far. ClamAV and messagesnf update regularly so going to keep using MXScan for a while at least.
Kent Runyan
CFDynamics.com
Providing World Class Hosting Solutions for over two decades.

Maranda

Post by Maranda »

rfwilliams777 wrote:1. Whitelist/blacklist - At present, without setting up a filter (which is a global setting), there are no whitelisting or blacklisting of domains but only IP addresses. I found whitelisting domains to be VERY beneficial as many businesses have switched to using Google or Microsoft to host their email (with their own domain) and as we know they have many servers with many IP addresses. So whitelisting or blacklisting individual IP addresses or even class C blocks would be virtually impossible. What do we have in ME that can do the same...again without the limited capabilities in the Filters area of the administration?
You can blacklist a domain either at PostOffice level (Messaging Manager/Post Offices/[PostOfficeName]/Domains/[DomainName] - Properties)
Or at MailBox level by adding a proper "domain.com.LST" file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Config\Postoffices\[PostOfficeName]\MAILBOXES\[MailBoxName]\Senders\BlackList (if you use flat files SQL I don't use so I have no idea), you can achieve the same by configuring that into WebMail (Options/Spam/Black List).