Chat feature in V10

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
chisel900

Chat feature in V10

Post by chisel900 »

I have the new version of Mailenable Enterprise v10 up and running. I was keen to see if I could hook up the chat feature to an external XMPP chat client. I tried for several hours with various different chat clients (my preferred was the chat client built into Mozilla Thunderbird) but every setting I tried failed to work. Is there any documentation available that could shed light on how I can get this to work. It works fine in webmail but our company use application based email clients rather than web. It's difficult to give any error messages as there generally weren't any. I decided to install a client on the email server hosting Mailenable to get around possible firewall issues but even with the program on the server I could not get any further than when I tried from afar. Anyhone had any luck with this yet?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Chat feature in V10

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The following article explains how to configure XMPP with Thunderbird/MailEnable. The problems you are facing most likely relate to the format of the credentials (specifically the username). https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/a ... D=ME020670

In terms of XMPP clients, the best clients for Windows Desktop (in my opinion) are currently:

Jitsi Desktop (free and also supports Video to Video conferencing and desktop sharing)
Pidgin (free)
EmClient (personal free/paid commercial)
MacOS has built in Chat/XMPP client.

The best clients for android mobile is probably: Xabber

There are also articles for other client in the KB.

Can you provide some feedback on the clients mentioned and any other feedback you may have.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

chisel900

Post by chisel900 »

This worked a treat. The clue was the username not being the whole email address because Thunderbird concatenates it. I also got it working with Jitsi chat client.
Just one other question on this subject, does it support chat rooms? These were the only bits that didn't work on Thunderbird and Jitsi.
Thanks again for the assistance and quick response.

oznog

Post by oznog »