Outlook 2003 continually asking for Username and Password

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
Navweb

Outlook 2003 continually asking for Username and Password

Post by Navweb »

My email is set to automatically check my email every few minutes. I also have my WM5 device doing the same for me.

I keep coming across this error and would like to solve it as it is literally becoming a huge pain in the backside.

The POP Log says the following:
11/27/06 21:32:14 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx +OK+Welcome+to+MailEnable+POP3+Server 39 0
11/27/06 21:32:17 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx USER USER+user@domain.com +OK 0 25
11/27/06 21:32:20 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx PASS PASS+* -ERR+Unable+to+log+on.+Only+one+connection+to+a+mailbox+permitted+at+a+time. 0 15

Outlook 2k3 tells me this:
Task 'user@domain.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR Unable to log on. Only one connection to a mailbox permitted at a time.'

based on what we see here, how do I best get around this issue as it is kinda making life a little unbearable!

Paul.

camposthiago

Post by camposthiago »

I have this problem too.
Let me know if you could solve this issue

michelkenny

Re: Outlook 2003 continually asking for Username and Passwor

Post by michelkenny »

Navweb wrote:-ERR+Unable+to+log+on.+Only+one+connection+to+a+mailbox+permitted+at+a+time. 0 15
The error says that you are only allowed one connection per mailbox. Make sure that "allow concurrent mailbox access" is enabled in your POP service properties (advanced tab).

camposthiago

Post by camposthiago »

I couldn't find the option "allow concurrent mailbox access" in outlook neither in MailEnable Administrator

Where can i find it?

RickH

Post by RickH »

Navweb wrote:ERR+Unable+to+log+on.+Only+one+connection+to+a+mailbox+permitted+at+a+time.
I have seen this before when users use MEWebmail and do not logout properly. I recommended to my users at the time to logout before closing their browser and have not had this error appear again. I believe a program (webmail, etc) is leaving the mailbox open and ME only allows one user to be logged into it at once.

RickH

michelkenny

Post by michelkenny »

camposthiago wrote:I couldn't find the option "allow concurrent mailbox access" in outlook neither in MailEnable Administrator

Where can i find it?
MailEnable Management -> Servers -> {server name} -> Services. Right-click on POP and click Properties. Go to Advanced tab.

camposthiago

Post by camposthiago »

MailEnable Management -> Servers -> {server name} -> Services. Right-click on POP and click Properties. Go to Advanced tab.
Sorry, but there is not Advanced Tab. The tabs available are "General" and Logging". I'm running ME Standard 1.981.

Any ideas?

ezwpp

Post by ezwpp »

Camposthiago,
Try this to fix the problem, In outlook goto Tools>Accounts..ect.
Make sure that your Full Email address is in the Login Information part. Outlook will place only the Name you set up before the @.
It may say only Camposthiago and it has to say Camposthiago@camposthiago.com

camposthiago

Post by camposthiago »

it is configured as you said but didn't solve the problem...

rockinthesixstring

Post by rockinthesixstring »

how many customers do you have?

under the POP Properties on the General tab, there are "Maximum Concurrent Connections" and default is set to 16. if you have more than 16 people trying to connect at the same time, the 17th will get bumped ...

could this be the case?
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

camposthiago

Post by camposthiago »

My configuration was Maximum Concurrent Connections = 30 and now i update to 50. I think i have about 80 users.

The strange is that almost the same users got this error

JohnPal

Post by JohnPal »

I'm sitting with the same issue here, and I'd love to get it resolved... it's driving my clients nuts!

Anyone figure this out yet? I bumped my max connections way up, but I still get the login screen.

If it matters I'm running ME on one of GoDaddy's VPS's...

HoSe

Post by HoSe »

Navweb wrote: The POP Log says the following:
11/27/06 21:32:14 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx +OK+Welcome+to+MailEnable+POP3+Server 39 0
11/27/06 21:32:17 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx USER USER+user@domain.com +OK 0 25
11/27/06 21:32:20 POPS 596 xxx.xxx.xx.xx PASS PASS+* -ERR+Unable+to+log+on.+Only+one+connection+to+a+mailbox+permitted+at+a+time. 0 15

Paul.
Take a log a the Debug Log.

Mine says: "Error creating lock file for postoffice Test-Account mailbox user@Test-Account. Error (3)"

What happened?

I have installed ME on an other computer. Previously I made a backup on the old computer using MEBACKUP.ZIP. After Restore my old settings have been restored and I could see them in the MMC.

BUT: Looking at the directory layout unter \Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices there is another folder called "Postoffices" with my old accounts.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files
  Mail Enable
    Postoffices
       new account (created during install)
       Postoffices
         Test-Account (my old account)
No wonder why the lock file could not have been created...

Just move the old accounts one level up!

Bug in the restore program?

HTH

baldy

only one connection to a mailbox permitted at a time

Post by baldy »

Im having the same issue. tried the 'allow concurrent...' worked for some users, but not all. i suspect one or more accounts may be hijacked by some automated routine, but av etc cant find anything. upgraded to latest patches. any ideas sure would be nice, my clients are getting ready to eat me! :shock:

toppsoft

Concurrent User Login Feature

Post by toppsoft »

Sorry for posting on such an old thread, but I just ran into this myself. I think the problem stems from the version of mailenable you are running.

http://www.hostdepot.com/Products/Hosti ... ailEnable/ shows the capabilities of the various incarnations of ME. Standard (the free one) only allows a single authenticated login per account regardless of the total number of connections configured in your POP server properties. I believe you need to be running Pro or Enterprise to see the advanced screen referenced above.

My client just bought an iPhone and both the phone and Outlook are hitting his POP account. Since the iPhone checks so aggressively, the Outlook client, being too dumb to interpret the error message correctly, keeps popping up the password dialog.

I'm going to redirect this user's email to either a dummy account or to the default email address AT&T gave him to work around this issue.