Strange Symbols eg ? £ $

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
kirkcairns

Strange Symbols eg ? £ $

Post by kirkcairns »

Hi,

Working in a school i get asked questions that i dont have the answers to, so i am here to ask.

The emails that the finance director and myself are recieving with regards to money £ Pounds, the pound symbol is replaced with a question mark.

Has anyone else got this problem?

michelkenny

Post by michelkenny »

Which version are you running? 2.34/2.35 (can't remember which) fixed some issues with foreign characters.

kirkcairns

Post by kirkcairns »

Hi,

Im running Version 2.32. Could swear that i upgraded. I will do an upgrade to the latest version and let you know.

Cheers,

kirkcairns

Post by kirkcairns »

Hey,

I've gone to the latest version and your right it has fixed the problem.

Thanks

stevenjohns

Post by stevenjohns »

I am running 3.04 Enterprise and when I log on to the webmail and send an email with a UK pound sign £ in it, it gets replaced with a question mark.

This is VERY serious as when my clients send out quotes using the webmail, the figures look like ?400.00 instead of £400.00.

I have made sure that the language is set at EN for both the webmail site and at the default level.

Any help or suggestions would be apreciated as this is causing a big issue for our clients.

Thsnks in advance.

Steve

stevenjohns

Post by stevenjohns »

OK,

Just found out that it is also replacing several other symbols....the double speach mark, the exclamation mark etc...

How can this be a bug?? surely I can't be the only person to have noticed this, it must be a config issue on my system....but where????

Please can anyone point me in the right direction, I've been fiting this all day and have got nowhere.

Thanks

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Make sure that your web mail options have the characterset configured to be UTF-8 it may be that the characterset that you are currently using does not support the characters that are not working. Also make sure that something in the middle of the client and server (proxy) is not writing the message out wrong. A test could be to try and send a message from a mailbox with the £ to itself.

I tested here with versions 3.03. 3.04 and 3.05 and it worked for me.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

stevenjohns

Post by stevenjohns »

Ben,

It looks like the issue was with the chatacter set as you said. It was set by default as ASCII

I thought that the UK pound sign was indeed part of the asscii character set ?!?!

Anyhow, changing it to UTF-8 appears to have fixed the issue. I have some clients with Apple mac's who are going to test it for me later.

Cheers