Version 7

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
pjs32

Version 7

Post by pjs32 »

We have tried to update one of our clustered mail servers to version 7 and we ran into a few problems.

The upgrade appeared to have gone ok,but when we open the new mmc and select postoffices nothing is showing - when we run diagnostic report it shows all the postoffices etc.

We also found clients are continually asked for their passwords when they try to download/send emails - is this a permissions issue? smtp/pop services are running under the IME_SYSTEM user - when I run meinstaller.exe and option 12 - it comes back saying that it cannot read the registry,soften the security on the server.

if you telnet to localhost 25 -it shows the welcome banner,but within 1 second it looses the connection - also it is showing as american date format,even though the server is set to UK .

We only tried to update one of the member servers,not the cluster controller - if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Version 7

Post by MailEnable »

With a clustered implementation, it will always be permissions!

If the new MMC is not working, you can try the old one. The MSC file will still be in the MailEnable Bin folder. I suspect the problems will be deeper than just the MMC though.

Here are some considerations with respect to permissions:

The service accounts for IME_ADMIN and IME_SYSTEM need to have common passwords across all clustered servers.
Exactly how this is done depends alot on the security relationship between the servers. Specifically if they all have their own Windows Security Database, then the passwords for the MailEnable accounts all need to match. ie: The passwords for the IME_ADMIN and IME_SYSTEM accounts need to be the same on all servers. If you know the password for that account then you can use MEInstaller to reset the password on the server you upgraded.

Failing which, the Windows Event viewer (Application log) will almost certainly have an error in it that will provide more information.
The last resort is to run processmon on the server to check for access denied errors when mailenable services are attempting to access the controller/shared storage.
Regards, Andrew

pjs32

Post by pjs32 »

Thanks for reply - the error on the event log is:

MailEnable Database Provider error: 0
FAILURE: (SQLDriverConnect), Module: MESMTPC.EXE; Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

MailEnable Database Provider error: 0
FAILURE: (SQLDriverConnect), Module: MEPOPS.EXE; Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

I have tested the dsn and it connects fine to the SQL server.

The permissions on the IME_ADMIN and IME_SYSTEM are fine aswell.

If I downgrade to version 6 then all works fine.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Perhaps the services are running as 64 bit and you only have a 32 bit DSN.
Regards, Andrew

pjs32

Post by pjs32 »

It was a DSN issue - we originally had the DSN called MailEnable-SQL Server - however installing version 7 renamed it to MailEnable

Thanks.

bantha3

Post by bantha3 »

We are going to upgrade from MailEnable version 6 to version 7, but first I am considering upgrading the host server from Server 2008R2 (64bit) to Server 2012. Is there any concerns with upgrading the OS when MailEnable is already installed/working? Any advice is much appreciated!

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

bantha3 wrote:We are going to upgrade from MailEnable version 6 to version 7, but first I am considering upgrading the host server from Server 2008R2 (64bit) to Server 2012. Is there any concerns with upgrading the OS when MailEnable is already installed/working? Any advice is much appreciated!
Are you going to overinstall Server 2012 on 2008? If so, I would not recommend that. I would first get the server up and going solid (including Windows updates) and then install ME new/fresh on the server and then set up the accounts to minimize any issues. If this is not the case, please carify in your post. :)
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

bantha3

Post by bantha3 »

Yes, I was thinking about an upgrade on the same server from 2008 R2 to 2012. I know Exchange doesn't handle upgrades to the host OS very well, and was wondering if MailEnable was able to do so. I just ran the upgrade from ME 6 to ME 7 without any issues. Moving to 2012 isn't necessary at this point, but was just an option I was considering.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I would choose one of three options:
  • Back up all your mail server settings, accounts, e-mail, etc. Wipe, install 2012, install updates, install ME, and then recreate your accounts.
  • Contract with someone who can temporarily host the e-mail (if uptime is a must) while you're working on getting your server going.
  • Set up a seperate server and have it run as a mail server temporarily (like a windows 7 pro workstation) until you're back up.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

bantha3

Post by bantha3 »

Robert, Thanks for the advice! When we get ready to move it to 2012, I'll plan on setting up a new VM first and getting it prepped as you suggested. Then I'll move it over.