Version 11

Discussion of MailEnable beta products
Skandiacloud Hosting

Re: Version 11

Post by Skandiacloud Hosting »

dcol wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:12 pm
I had issues with SM support. Too long ago to remember the issue, but they refused to fix it and was rather condescending, if I remember, as well. Think it had something to do with the direction they were taking with cloud based services.
I had a few tickets with S.martermail during the install and they were very kind and helpful.

Seen nothing but very quick support and very kind help.

Full exchange integration with cached exchange so everything is speedy and no issues what so ever.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

SM runs easily in Windows? Good anti-spam options?
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

Skandiacloud Hosting

rfwilliams777 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:03 am
We run it on a windows server and there is a huge amount of antispam options.

Only thing I miss is the granular logging and insigt into specific mail SMTP logs via Track message.

dcol

Post by dcol »

I think it is SM pricing that made me move, charging an annual fee for their addons and MAPI. SM is very overpriced would cost me over $1500 a year to get the features I would need. And no, in this case I don't think you get what you pay for.

Skandiacloud Hosting

dcol wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:50 pm
I think it is SM pricing that made me move, charging an annual fee for their addons and MAPI. SM is very overpriced would cost me over $1500 a year to get the features I would need. And no, in this case I don't think you get what you pay for.
Easily made up for not losing clients to Office365 :)

dcol

Post by dcol »

Depends on # of clients/users. I have under 50. Email revenue from all of them is about $1K/year. SM doesn't make sense. Lose money.

bitechbobbrenner

Post by bitechbobbrenner »

It appears that everybody is sleeping at the helm of MailEnable!

Version 10.* is now four (4) plus years old with nothing but Band-Aid fixes and GOIP updates which is a joke as they are outdated in short time.

Today is December 19th, the current download listed on the website is v 10.43 dated November 12, 2022 and the Bata listed on the website is v 10.42 with the date of November 2, 2022.

The ME community within this forum has vocalized MANY good suggestions for version 11 and yet no feedback from ME or implementation of some of the requested suggestions.

I think this will be my last year of AUP’s with ME.

On another note, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all!

dcol

Post by dcol »

I get it. The revenue doesn't support a staff. What they need is marketing people. ME is not a bad product, just needs to be kept up to date to compete with the competitors. I am sure the development team is extinct now seeing the course of updates and features. I will be taking another look at Exchange after the first of the year. At least I know they have a solid support staff.

dedicate-it.net

Post by dedicate-it.net »

dcol wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:39 pm
I get it. The revenue doesn't support a staff. What they need is marketing people. ME is not a bad product, just needs to be kept up to date to compete with the competitors. I am sure the development team is extinct now seeing the course of updates and features. I will be taking another look at Exchange after the first of the year. At least I know they have a solid support staff.
We're exploring Exchange as well.

After February of this upcoming year, we will have spent more for AUP than it would have been just to outright "Upgrade" and cannot justify AUP costs when it's cheaper to upgrade outside of AUP due to release schedule. Granted, MailEnable has been flexible with us in the past (and we haven't forgotten that, but we've been a customer since version 4 and opened less than a dozen support tickets in our history.

Exchange's licensing is through the roof - the other alternatives for Windows servers that can compete with Exchange are even higher. We've even considered rolling our own EAS implementation for our own server or moving everything to a Linux based mail server solution (much less cost, better anti-spam options) and selling Exchange mailboxes to customers who want it separately.

*footnote: Exchange ActiveSync Protocol licensing cost is absolutely absurd. The most recent documentation I found is that they want $100k USD up front (OR 1st years revenue from sales of EAS licensed product) + annual revenue going forward after that. Knowing that - MailEnable will NEVER be able to sell it as a one-time product because of what they have to give Microsoft yearly for the rights to sell EAS (and that goes for ANY 3rd party that implements EAS in a resale product).

kevvyc

Post by kevvyc »

Skandiacloud Hosting wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:02 pm
rfwilliams777 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:03 am
We run it on a windows server and there is a huge amount of antispam options.

Only thing I miss is the granular logging and insigt into specific mail SMTP logs via Track message.
Hi -

Have you had any SM issues with Outlook such as users with mailboxes that have inboxes with tens of thousands of messages causing it to hour-glass every few minutes?

Kevin

dcol

Post by dcol »

I moved from SM to Mailenable about 4 years ago because SM was, at that time, considering going totally cloud based. I saw them at a trade show and they laid out to me their path forward. And I was not impressed. Their focus is not what it used to be. Also had many support issues they would ignore. ME is a much better product in my opinion, just now lacking in support and updates. I did recently renew my contract for another year mainly because I have too many other projects to deal with.

ME should look at the email server market today realizing the potential and start hiring more staff.

kevvyc

Post by kevvyc »

Thanks for your response.

dedicate-it.net

Post by dedicate-it.net »

dcol wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:29 pm
I moved from SM to Mailenable about 4 years ago because SM was, at that time, considering going totally cloud based. I saw them at a trade show and they laid out to me their path forward. And I was not impressed. Their focus is not what it used to be. Also had many support issues they would ignore. ME is a much better product in my opinion, just now lacking in support and updates. I did recently renew my contract for another year mainly because I have too many other projects to deal with.

ME should look at the email server market today realizing the potential and start hiring more staff.
If you don't mind - how was SM on resource usage compared to ME?

Currently, ME's indexing service is an absolute server killer for high-activity mailboxes --

dcol

Post by dcol »

I honestly do not remember. There were many issues that never were resolved with SM. I have users with huge inboxes on ME and was an issue until I changed the clients to receive mail headers only, Some I moved from IMAP to MAPI. It was really a reindexing issue more than anything else. Reindexing is a killer on huge mailboxes. Causes the client to reload all that email. I haven't had a user complaint for quite awhile about this issue.

kevvyc

Post by kevvyc »

Unfortunately, we've had unsolvable MAPI related issues that's forcing our hand. Agree that it's mostly related to mailboxes with large inboxes and the way the connector works. Haven't had much of a reindexing issue recently - maybe one of the recent updates fixed it.