IMAPS.exe blocking on access to activity lockfile

Raise/discuss any potential issues with MailEnable for consideration in project issue register.
airbear

IMAPS.exe blocking on access to activity lockfile

Post by airbear »

Hi,
Since recently upgrading from ME Enterprise 9.62 to 9.78, we are now intermittently seeing MEIMAPS.EXE blocking and logging the following error to the Windows event log:

General: (MailEnable IMAP Service (D:\MAILEN~1\Bin64\MEIMAPS.exe) error: 32) ME-EXXXX: [Thread:7268] Error (Class S): BlockFileLock Activity notification handler (WaitForAccessToFile) failed to obtain a lock on the blockfile (D:\MailEnable\POSTOFFICES\postoffice\MAILROOT\user1\_activity.blk).

We didn't ever see this previously and I was wondering if this is a bug or, if there's anything we might do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Aaron

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: IMAPS.exe blocking on access to activity lockfile

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

It just means that another service is currently accessing the _activity.blk file and has locked it so that no other service can write to the file at the time. In this case we write this out in the Windows event log. As to what other service had a lock on the file I don't know. Could be web mail, POP, ActiveSync etc.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

airbear

Post by airbear »

Thanks Ian,
Do you have any idea what changed between 9.62 and 9.78 which would cause this blocking to become an issue for us?

Regards,
Aaron

airbear

Post by airbear »

Hi,
We are seeing recurrent IMAP service instability (unresponsive but still running or sometimes stopping altogether), since we upgraded to 9.78. I'm not sure if waiting for lockfiles is the problem but, the only logs I see are the timeout waiting for lockfile.

1. Are you aware of and working on this issue of IMAP service instability?
2. Is there a procedure for rolling back to an earlier version?

Thanks,
Aaron

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
1. Are you aware of and working on this issue of IMAP service instability?
There are no current IMAP service instability problems. In order for us to diagnose the problems in more detail it would be best to lodge a support ticket and provide RDP login details or a Teamviewer session to the server so we can troubleshoot in more detail and review the relevant log files.
2. Is there a procedure for rolling back to an earlier version?
You can review the following article which explains how to downgrade MailEnable which can be applied to downgrading to a previous version: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/ar ... D=me020375. Although as mentioned the best way forward would to diagnose your problems with 9.78.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

reinhard_g

Post by reinhard_g »

I have the same error at version 10.35 after changing the mailserver (from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019).

May be, on two computers I use the same IMAP mailbox at the same time. I get the error 0x8000ccc0e. I can only send emails from this mailbox to other mailservers.

A portping to the new mailserver with port 993 is ok, also the other ports 25, 110, 143, 465, 587 and 995 are open.

Can anyone explain the message WaitForAccessToFile: Blocking on activity file?
Reinhard Gojowsky
--------------------------
EAASDC IT Service Germany
ME Professional 10.40, Windows Server 2019

reinhard_g

Post by reinhard_g »

Problem solved (ME professional Version 10.35).
  1. Stop all ME services
  2. Run Active Directory - User and Computer:
    • Reset Password for IME_ADMIN, IME_SYSTEM and IME_USER: Set a new (or an old) password for all these users and unlock the account. Same password for all these users!
  3. Run MEinstaller:
    • 1. Common Installation (File Permissions)
    • 2. Web application reconfigure
    • 4. Re-Register Administration (MMC) Components
    • 9. Repair Configuration Files
    • 12. Apply Registry Permissions for IME_ADMIN, IME_USER and IME_SYSTEM
  4. Have a look to your Firewall: The ports for IMAP, POP and SMTP should be open.
  5. Start all ME services
Reinhard Gojowsky
--------------------------
EAASDC IT Service Germany
ME Professional 10.40, Windows Server 2019