smtp relay settings hacked? Connector Credentials problem

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
zephyr99

smtp relay settings hacked? Connector Credentials problem

Post by zephyr99 »

rather odd behavior under v10. and even v10.39. nothing that i select under smtp properties/ relay has any effect on stopping spam email from being authenticated for sending. nothing.

when i look at the log, i see entry in smtp-activity log that username or password failed. but then in the smtp-debug log i get a startling: Authenticating User:diary using Connector Credentials. and the email is sent on its way.

in fact, even when i turn off ALL the selections except the top one for relay permitted, it allows the stuff to carry on. i would have thought that with nothing selected, nothing would pass.

so.....
1. what are 'connectror credentials' and how do i change them
2. how can i get things working properly for rejecting non approved relays.

note. my setup may be a bit odd. im using one mailenable pc to feed another me. using the smarthost as the bridge between the two. and using the privilaged ip on the downstream me to accept feed. there is a reason for the why. and not a good reason why it should not work.

any hints on what to do would be great.

zephyr99

Re: smtp relay settings hacked? Connector Credentials problem

Post by zephyr99 »

ahh. an answer was found.

the 'outbound ip binding' setting of the smtp ip vs 'default' was the answer. apparently, my smtp server was being accessed by lots of pathways. and those pathways BYPASSED the relay permissions tab. when i restricted the ip binding all the dodo went away. i was given very pleasing 'denied' messages in the log files.

it would have been nice if mailenable added a few words in the manual about the function and need of the ip binding selection.