Non-Delivery Notifications

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
mlast65

Non-Delivery Notifications

Post by mlast65 »

Good day,

We are currently evaluating MailEnable. Have a quick question:

When getting Non-Delivery Notifications, is there a way to include the remote server IP, which was used by MailEnable trying to deliver?

Example current NDR:
Reason: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 553 sorry, no mail-box here by that name. (#5.1.1)

Example from our existing mail server:
Reason: Remote SMTP Server (IP_Address) Returned: 553 sorry, no mail-box here by that name. (#5.1.1)

Have already created SMTP-NDR-FAILEDRECIPS.TXT, but could not find a variable to use for remote server...

Thanks for any help.
Michael

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Non-Delivery Notifications

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

HI,

No there is no variable that returns the IP address in the bounce. You could try and use [ME_REMOTE_HOST] variable instead.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

mlast65

Post by mlast65 »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately [ME_REMOTE_HOST] does only return "[ME_REMOTE_HOST]" as text. So it looks like this variable does not exist. Do you have another idea?
Sometimes our customers receive NDR's because of suspected spam or blocked sender address, and to report it to the recipient support it is helpful to have the remote server IP available which was responsible for the NDR.

Regards
Michael

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

We are working on customizing NDR's for version 11 which will support the ME_REMOTE_HOST variable. I had thought that maybe it was already inclusive in version 10 but was wrong. Your best option to retrieve the IP address of the remote server would be to inspect the SMTP activity and debug log files at the time of the send.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

mlast65

Post by mlast65 »

Hi Ian,

Ok, thanks for the info. For NDR in version 11 it would also be helpful to include the date/time of the original message.

Regards
Michael