DKIM not validating

Discussion regarding the Standard version.
strontium_99

DKIM not validating

Post by strontium_99 »

Hi all.

I'm currently running Mailenable standard edition 10.41 on Windows server 2012 R2. I was running a slightly older version until today, and for some reason the DKIM started failing and emails started going into customers spam folders. Hence upgrading to the newer version in the hope it would resolve the issue. It didn't. :(

I'm trying to generate a new DKIM but it keeps failing saying the Body Hash is wrong. And now I'm totally lost.

I'm sending from a subdomain responder.mydomain.com (mydomain is a pseudonym obviously).
So I generate a DKIM for the selector postmaster (my default sender), rsa-sha256, 1024 bit, leaving everything on default. I activate it.

I then add a new TXT dns record to my domain of postmaster._domainkey.responder, which my ISP's system confirms it will correspond to postmaster._domainkey.responder.mydoamin.com, pasting in the TXT generated by Mailenable.

I then use both dmarcanalyzer.com and mail-tester.com to confirm:

a) The DNS entry has propagated - It has.
b) The DKIM is valid - It is.

I then send a test email to both mail-tester.com and appmaildev.com that both keep saying that Body Hash is wrong.

Where do I go from here? Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: DKIM not validating

Post by Admin »

Hi,

Usually if you have body hash is wrong it means the email is passing through a filter which is changing the body contents. Are you using an outbound filtering service? What you can do is send an email to a Gmail account from webmail and see it if fails DKIM - if it does with a body hash error compare the raw email body contents to the one Gmail receives to see if there is a difference. Sometimes AV programs will add footers to emails, which will mess up the signing. Probably also worthwhile checker the email header after signing to do it is using the correct domain in the DKIM header, i.e. your subdomain.

strontium_99

Post by strontium_99 »

Admin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 am
Hi,

Usually if you have body hash is wrong it means the email is passing through a filter which is changing the body contents. Are you using an outbound filtering service? What you can do is send an email to a Gmail account from webmail and see it if fails DKIM - if it does with a body hash error compare the raw email body contents to the one Gmail receives to see if there is a difference. Sometimes AV programs will add footers to emails, which will mess up the signing. Probably also worthwhile checker the email header after signing to do it is using the correct domain in the DKIM header, i.e. your subdomain.
You were spot on. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Avast was adding a "Virus checked by Avast" at the bottom of all the outgoing emails. Once I turned this off, all started working.

Nice one. Thanks for your help. This one was driving me nuts.

Thanks again.

darko.bazulj

Post by darko.bazulj »

ME ver. 10.42

I have similar situation that DKIM started moving messages from some domains to clients junk folder.
I tested with sender to send messages to gmail, O365 and one surgemail server and non of them are reporting any problem with DKIM.
On gmail you can nicely see that spf,dkim and dmarc have pass mark.
For now I've disabled mark as spam and enabled only to add header.

example:

Code: Select all

11/11/22 15:52:57	Executed	4872CD357CF9489B9E4B05E04D91358E.MAI	SMTP	DKIM-check	ADD_HEADER		[SMTP:Marija.SprisicMihelic@also.com]	194.115.88.35	CRITERIA=DKIM, DATA=	RE: Upit za najbolju ciijenu  - C922