Cant recieve mail from external IP

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
KD

Cant recieve mail from external IP

Post by KD »

G'day guys! Been using the forum for a while now to troubleshoot all of my ME issues, yet now I have one that I can't seem to find the answer for...

Having an issue with ME that I've noticed this morning. This is the first time that I'm using my laptop from home with ME at work, and it will recieve mail, but will not send using ME...

I'm using Outlook 2003, have checked that I'm not using SPA, and have checked my outgoing server settings are set to "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server"....

And the email I'm trying to send is to my own inbox yet it just will not send from Outlook. I'm getting the error "(0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server." I know my internet connection is working aswell!. I'm not getting this with any other mail server configured in outlook, just this one.

I've checked my DNS records and they are all okay. I've checked the logs, yet there is no history of any SMTP connections at the time of me trying to send the emails...

On the server I have in the Relay options "Allow relay for authenticated senders (MailEnable/Integrated Authentication in the configuration area of that option)". "Allow relay for privileged IP ranges" is also configured. All IP ranges used in our company are in there aswell...

Anyone have any clues as to what it could be? My last idea is that there's a configuration error somewhere in the server that wont let me send email through the server from an IP not on our network.

KD

Post by KD »

Any ideas guys?? This is becoming a bit of an urgent issue due to people starting to work from home before the christmas break...

ezwpp

Post by ezwpp »

You state that you have "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server".... but do you have the box checked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requirers Authentication" and "Log in using a Secure Password Authentication (SPA)"

TSH

Reply with telnet issue

Post by TSH »

What do you get if you perform the following steps
open a telnet session to your server
telent servername 25
type helo
type MAIL FROM: your address@domain.com
type RCPT TO: who your email is to
type DATA:
Text in message body. End body by placing command from instructions crlF . clrf

Do you get any errors?

KD

Post by KD »

ezwpp wrote:You state that you have "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server".... but do you have the box checked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requirers Authentication" and "Log in using a Secure Password Authentication (SPA)"
Yeahhhh..... you can only select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server". You can't select SPA authentication when the above option is ticked.

ezwpp

Post by ezwpp »

Ok,
Check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requirers Authentication" Don't check "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and check
"Log on Using:" and fill in Full Email Address and Password. Now also check "Remember Password" and then "Log in using a Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" If that will not work you will need to reload Outlook!

KD

Post by KD »

ezwpp:

I'll try that tonight when I get home, but I'm sure I know the problem isn't with outlook as manually sending an email the way TZH told me to doesn't work either, as it says "Connection timed out" every time. I can send fine to all my other servers setup in Outlook aswell. This problem also occurs on my two home desktops aswell, so that's another reason I don't think it's Outlook... (I have an external static IP set to all desktops aswell, so it's not a firewall issue as they have no firewall's (Beside the client side ones)).

I'm wondering if it's our ISP blocking port 25? As it's saying it cannot locate the outbound SMTP server now, but would that also stop all inbound emails aswell??

Marconius

Post by Marconius »

Some ISP's do block port 25 except to their own servers therefore forcing you to send mail through their smtp server. Inbound POP3 mails use port 110, not port 25 so they are probably unaffected. Check your with your ISP if they block port 25 outgoing from their network, if they do then you can add a port of your choosing like 20025, to the smtp service on the Inbound tab of the SMTP connector properties in the MMC. It has an option that says "Also listen on port:" and allows you to add a port. Just make sure you forward that port or open that port on the server side so you can connect to it. Then from home test it by telneting to that that server and port number like "telnet mail.myservername.com 20025" and see if it connects instead of timeout. If it connects change your mail client to use that port for it's SMTP server.

-Marcus

KD

Post by KD »

Cheers Marconious! I'll try that tonight!

ezwpp: Also, if I came across as rude to you before, understand that I did not mean it like that at all! I'm just a little frustrated, that's all mate.

-K

ezwpp

Post by ezwpp »

KD,
No worries mate, I hope your up and running now?