Monitoring Number of Emails Sent Per Second

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
ltb2007

Monitoring Number of Emails Sent Per Second

Post by ltb2007 »

Hey Hey! - This is a duplicate post but I haven't received any feedback in the MailEnable Standard section...

The company I work for sends out a newsletter to its members a few times each month. During each mailing we send out roughly 800,000 messages - not spam mind you - our members have signed up for these newsletters.

We'd like to monitor how many emails per second each of our mail servers is sending.

Currently we do this by taking the total # of messages sent, and dividing that by the number of second it took to complete the mass mailing.

Obviously - there are huge problems with this approach so I'd like to be able to offer a more concrete answer of how many emails are being sent per second.

We're currently using MailEnable Standard but I have no problem recommending an upgrade to Professional or Enterprise if that's what I need to do in order to obtain the reporting info I need.

So my question is - when management asks me how many emails are our servers sending per second - short of writing a perl script to parse the 2.5GB log files - how do I give them an accurate answer? What kind of solutions are there to help me provide management with more accurate send statistics?

Thanks!

amstaty

Post by amstaty »

there are many factors that enter into the picture. First, you have domains that greylist and so it requires an additional try. You have also temporary internet problems or a mail server not reachable and you have to try the next mx record, etc.

And two things, first, the speed of your line hooked to it along with how fast the dns server is, will play the biggest role, next to the cpu power. And what about your settings of how many to send at once?

If you are expecting some precise number, better than what you are currently getting, you are kidding yourself because it is not mailenable, but hardware and line speed and what is happening on the internet that effect such.

And one further point, don't open too wide, because unless you are whitelisted or certified you will probably have problems because many monitor the volume per hour received.
chris

ltb2007

Post by ltb2007 »

hmm, it seems like Postfix can do exactly what I'm asking via SNMP: http://www.packetmischief.ca/network/mo ... g/postfix/

Dude, MailEnable claims to have a "Professional" and "Enterprise" editions of their software. What Enterprise software doesn't offer in depth reporting information? I mean really.

It has a log file that has a record of every message that's been sent along with the date and time. So what does MailEnable give you with the "Professional" system tray monitoring and reporting? A retarded gui app that displays a pointless flow chart of how the messages work through the MailEnable system...

But thank you for the "email performance 101 lesson". :P If I ever want to know what could be potentially slowing down my mail server's performance (as opposed to trying to find an accurate monitoring solution - im not trying to speed up or slow down the performance - I just want to know the average rate at which messages are being sent), I'll be sure to come back and re-read this thread. Rabble Rabble Rabble!

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

MailEnable is not designed as a send mail only program, all reporting and feature sets are geared around running a mail server or being a hosting provider.

Yes we can send mail and send it quite fast but this is not necessarily our number one priority. The Enterprise V3 edition comes with a statistics program as outlined below but for majority of our customers knowing how many messages are sent per second is useless information and would be viewed as information that once known is not required again;

Statistics - A new reporting module provides detailed statistics on all mail services (POP, SMTP, IMAP, HTTPMAIL) and the MTA. Over 80 different reports can be generated and ranked by user, post office or for the whole system. Information can be tabulated on data sent, data received, data total, messages sent, messages received, user log-ins and client connections.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

ltb2007

Post by ltb2007 »

Yes we can send mail and send it quite fast but this is not necessarily our number one priority
Why have both responses mentioned email performance? I'm not concerned with increasing or altering our servers' performance in any way. That's great that your product is fast, but that really wasn't my concern.

Here's our issue - as a company that currently uses 6 mail enable servers for outbound messaging.

We are currently on the white list of several ISPs and Email Providers. It's important to us to send out our 800,000 emails fast, but not TOO fast. We would like to average 3 emails per second.

If we averaged 1 per second that would be too slow, over 5-6 per second and we could get flagged as spam. So it's very important to us that we configure our servers to send ~3 emails per second.

We know how to adjust the SMTP's outgoing performance settings:
Max. # of send threads
Outbound queue poll interval
Retry delay
Max # of concurrent connections
etc. etc.

We'd like to be able to tune our server to send approximately 3 emails per second, but unfortunately, we have no way of knowing how fast our servers are actually sending the emails.

Again, we currently use 6 mail enable servers (currently running standard, but for this type of reporting, would gladly consider upgrading to Pro or Enterprise), we're also going to continue to expand the number of servers we own and operate as our user/customer base grows.

So as a prospective ME Enterprise customer speaking for one .com company, I can say that we would be VERY interested in having this kind of reporting.

Thanks!

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

Why have both responses mentioned email performance?
I don’t think you can begrudge anyone for thinking that you wanted to know this for performance reasons and effectively you still do after reading your new post.

However, now I know why exactly you want these results I can tell you a possible manner for you to work out how many messages per second have left your server. While the graphical METRAY utility is no use for you, the way the results are generated and stored may help. The value that you need to know is how many messages have left your server at any point in time this is one value that the METRAY does store in the following registry key;

HKLM->Software->MailEnable->Connectors->SMTP->"Outbound Delivery Count"

So if you were to take frequent snap shots of this registry value and use the difference between this and the difference in time between the shots you could work out how many messages are leaving your server per second at any point in time.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

ltb2007

Post by ltb2007 »

Thank you so much. I'm sorry for not being clear from the beginning, and getting irritated in my responses. It's a frustrating situation, but I will definitely give this a shot.

Thanks again for your help!

ltb2007

Post by ltb2007 »

After further thought, this still isn't going to tell us anything. How would this account for new messages that come into the outbound queue?

Let's say in 3 seconds -
I have 50 messages
I send 10
I receive 20 more

Now 3 seconds later the outbound delivery count has gone from 50 to 60...

Guess it's time to start looking for 3rd party smtp benchmarking tools. fun fun! :P

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

We are currently on the white list of several ISPs and Email Providers. It's important to us to send out our 800,000 emails fast, but not TOO fast. We would like to average 3 emails per second.
When you say this I thought it meant that you only wanted to know what has left the server not what was sitting in your outbound queue waiting for delivery. If you want to know what is waiting for delivery also then there is another registry key for where this is stored that may help. The following registry key is the count for messages that have been added to the SMTP outbound queue;

HKLM->Software->MailEnable->Connectors->SMTP->"Transfer Count"
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

bodleyca

Re: Monitoring Number of Emails Sent Per Second

Post by bodleyca »

I can't find this section:

Statistics - A new reporting module provides detailed statistics on all mail services (POP, SMTP, IMAP, HTTPMAIL) and the MTA. Over 80 different reports can be generated and ranked by user, post office or for the whole system. Information can be tabulated on data sent, data received, data total, messages sent, messages received, user log-ins and client connections.

I've never really used mail enable. We are taking over as IT support for a company that uses MailEnable and the client asked me how many emails are going through the server, this statistics section sounds like what I need but I can't find it in the .msc

I'm running MailEnable Professional Edition (V7) (per diagnostic report)

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Monitoring Number of Emails Sent Per Second

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The Statistics utility is only available in Enterprise versions of MailEnable. Its located under the MailEnable program group within the Windows > All programs > MailEnable menu.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

VFSKeith

Re:

Post by VFSKeith »

MailEnable-Ben wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:38 am
Why have both responses mentioned email performance?
I don’t think you can begrudge anyone for thinking that you wanted to know this for performance reasons and effectively you still do after reading your new post.

However, now I know why exactly you want these results I can tell you a possible manner for you to work out how many messages per second have left your server. While the graphical METRAY utility is no use for you, the way the results are generated and stored may help. The value that you need to know is how many messages have left your server at any point in time this is one value that the METRAY does store in the following registry key;

HKLM->Software->MailEnable->Connectors->SMTP->"Outbound Delivery Count"

So if you were to take frequent snap shots of this registry value and use the difference between this and the difference in time between the shots you could work out how many messages are leaving your server per second at any point in time.
Hello. In order to get a new server and get everything up to date, we also need to be able to measure how many messages leave the server in a given period of time... per day would be appropriate. The issue is that the services often restart for various reasons. Am I mistaken in assuming this counter gets reset when the SMTP connector is restarted? I am well versed in Powershell and could easily write something to parse the logs and count if you could just tell me what terms to search for and which log to look in.
Thank You,

Keith Damron
VF