Message marked as SPAM - still arrives to inbox

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
solucionmike

Message marked as SPAM - still arrives to inbox

Post by solucionmike »

Hi,
I have many SPAM emails arriving to the Inbox whilst SPAM filters update the header as follows:
Precedence: bulk
X-ME-Bayesian: 0.000003
X-ME-Spam: High (545)
X-ME-Content: Deliver-To=Junk
X-Spam-Report: Failed

You will noticed X-ME-Spam rating is high, Failed Spam Assassin and X-ME-Content set: Deliver-To=Junk.

Interestingly when tracing this message there is also a comment:
06/17/22 13:36:31 [AFE86F873885410D91A4A9E1FF6AE840.MAI] Skipping autoresponse from PO=xyz MBX=mike to [SMTP:POSTMASTER@xyz] as the message is flagged as bulk.

I am trying to get all such Emails that are detected as SPAM to be directed to the users Junk Email folder, and whilst most emails are delivered to the Junk Email folder many are not.

Is there any reason such a message would go direct to the inbox and not the Junk Email folder?

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Message marked as SPAM - still arrives to inbox

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If the X-ME-Content: Deliver-To=Junk header is present then there should be no reason as to why the message is delivered to the users inbox. It will only bypass delivery to the mailbox junk email folder if you have the option for junk email processing set to deliver to the inbox folder. Please see: https://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/article.asp?ID=ME020379

For messages that are only marked with a spam score of low medium and high they will be delivered to junk. The scores are used by the mailbox level spam rules that are set by the user within the web mail client. Therefore you may want to instruct your clients to set this within their account via web mail.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

solucionmike

Post by solucionmike »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for quick reply, I checked the article you referenced and a little investigation confirmed the offending IP was not whitelisted, the setting in Servers->localhost->Extensions properties -> Junk Email Processing is set to "Messages are moved to Junk Email-folder" and the SPAM filtering option in WebMail for this account (which is mine in this case) has both Moderate and High Risk SPAM set to "Move Message to Junk Email folder".

This issue only happens to a limited number of SPAM emails but still annoying as none should arrive to inbox with those SPAM headers settings highlighted, namely:
Precedence: bulk
X-ME-Bayesian: 0.000003
X-ME-Spam: High (545)
X-ME-Content: Deliver-To=Junk
X-Spam-Report: Failed

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Mike May

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Would need to trace through the all the logs the messages has passed through. Best way forward would be to lodge a support ticket.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support