Monitoring incoming mail using .Net

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
RickH

Monitoring incoming mail using .Net

Post by RickH »

I would like to know what other developers think about monitoring incoming mail. Does it make sense to just use the file system object in .Net and look for new files appearing in the Mailenable inbox directories or instead use ME pickup events to instead inform an application that a new mail message has arrived? I am starting a new project and just trying to work this out in my head before I decide in either direction. I would like to respond ASAP when the message arrives so the file approach may be a little slower than the pickup event. What is your opinions?

RickH

RickH

Post by RickH »

Lots of views with no opinions. Keep in mind I am not asking you to solve the problem for me (I hate when people do that), I am just looking for opinions on how others have done this and what they recommend. Knowing an email has arrived to a certain mailbox or group of mailboxes sounds simple until you think about it for a while.

RickH

nukwa

Post by nukwa »

Hi RickH,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am trying to figure out the same for processing incoming emails.

-nukwa

RickH

Post by RickH »

I have not. I am playing with a pickup event that will trigger a desktop application but I havent spent much time on it.

johnd34

Re: Monitoring incoming mail using .Net

Post by johnd34 »

My view is to use the MTA.
Monitor BEFORE it gets to the user.

Everybody I know that has done spam or virus protection starts there.

John
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk

RickH

Re: Monitoring incoming mail using .Net

Post by RickH »

Isn't that what we were saying by using a pickup event? The MTA fires the pickup event.
Well things did work out for me. I have been running a console application that I created in VS 2008.
It is called with each incoming and outgoing email by the pickup event.
Works fine. Very low use server however. I am not sure if this would work for a heavily used server.