ListListMember

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
reiters

ListListMember

Post by reiters »

I am working with mailenable webservices and have everything working except ListListMember. I can go to the page and see what XML is expected but found no explanation anywhere as to what each variable means and what the valid data is. Depending on what I give it I get a response of zero or one but I get no data back. I am looking for a list of list members to be returned to me.

I searched google and this forum and found no information. If I missed it then I apologize. I also read most of the api documentation that I felt was relevant and some that wasn't.

reiters

Re: ListListMember

Post by reiters »

Does the MailEnable staff monitor the forums? I would have expected someone would have a suggestion after 2 months. Is there any documentation that explains the XML fields, their meaning and possible values? I have found nothing. I have gone over all the documentation I have found and nothing explains what the fields mean or what values are expected. I hacked around the ListListMember issue but now have a AddList issue. When I use it, it doesn't get added to the ADDRESS_MAP table and is unusable. I can't hack around this issue without exposing myself to risks I am not willing to take (hitting the tables directly). It feels like the APIs are were designed for internal use and simply exposed for us the developer to trial and error our way through. Could someone with experience with list management via API respond?

To be specific, I need example XML for AddList. When I use it, it adds the list but it's broken because it fails to add an entry to the adderss_map table. If I add it to the table manually then it's functional. I need it working via the API.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The API generally works only on the configuration items that match what they are called. So the list API items only work on lists, but for a list to be able to receive an email, it needs an address map, i.e. a route from an SMTP address to a list address. So after you do AddList then you can add the email addresses to point to the list, by adding address maps. You can therefore have more than one email address going to a list. So in an address map class you would have the "SourceAddress" as the SMTP address, for example "[SMTP:mylist@example.com]" and the DestinationAddress as "[LS:postoffice\listname]". Remember to remove the address maps when you remove the list.

reiters

Post by reiters »

I was finally able to throw enough educated guesses at it to get enough working. By this time I was way over budget and way over time. I was able to figure out the address map issue by looking at the example code from other languages and then doing more guessing. I still feel the documentation is greatly lacking and caused me to be way over time and budget.

I am still going directly to the database with read only permissions for searching for emails addresses in lists because its vastly faster than parsing xml and allows me to look for an email in all lists vs specific lists.

Thank you for the reply. I had lost hope that anyone used the forums other than questions like mine left unanswered.