EML vs MAI mail format

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
rhondachurchill99

EML vs MAI mail format

Post by rhondachurchill99 »

I would like to allow variant end users to download a message file from my system "As Is" so they will be able to open in easily.

i don't want to use the Outlook .msg format because not all of the users have Microsoft Outlook. HTML is not good because i can not convert emails with attachments to HTML.

I investigated and found 2 common formats. EML and MAI.

Can you explain this about each of them so i will be able to decide on the right format?

while testing, i took MAI file, renamed it to EML and i could successfully open if with programs supports EML files like Outlook so i am wondering, is it the same format but with different extension only?

I added the MailEnable tag because i understood that if i am taking EML file and rename it to MAI it should work. and i am wondering if its correct without no exceptions. Because as per my understanding, EML if more common so i may choose that format but i still want to be able to load the EML files to MailEnable inbox for searching and manage using the Web interface.
https://homeheavenz.com/

FlexDot

Re: EML vs MAI mail format

Post by FlexDot »

EML isn't a format, it's just a file extension that is typically used for email messages in the MIME format.

I have no idea what MAI is, I've never heard of it and Google isn't turning anything up.

Since MIME is the only standard email format in existence, use that.
https://www.google.com

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: EML vs MAI mail format

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
I have no idea what MAI is, I've never heard of it and Google isn't turning anything up.
.MAI is the MailEnable message file extension. They are the same format as .EML using RFC 822 standard format.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support