How to hide client IP but not have 127.0.0.1 in the header?

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
MyHeadHurts

How to hide client IP but not have 127.0.0.1 in the header?

Post by MyHeadHurts »

I have the scenario where I'm testing (hoping to migrate VERY shortly to) MailEnable.

I have WFH users connected via IMAP using Outlook, and by default their home IP address is included in the header. Turned that off using:
  • SMTP Properties > Seceurity > Hide sender IP address in Received email header.
Unfortunately instead of removing the client and just having the server's external IP address (which is what I expected) it has the line
  • Received: from ([127.0.0.1]) with MailEnable ESMTPA; Mon, 10 May 2021 11:15:49 +0100
This gets caught by the DNSBL spam filter on our firewall because 127.0.0.1 is not a valid external IP address.
Contacts have also reported some of our mail now going to junk, although I've not had that issue when testing sending to my gmail account.

I can't allow the client IP in the header as it's dynamic and there's always the chance of it having been abused (one of the users IPs has fallen foul of that)

I've read through the forums and I cannot find a solution mentioned. To my boss this is a stopper in our migration plans so I really need a way to either change 127.0.0.1 in the header to the server's external IP (manual configuration somewhere?) or some other suggestion that will get me out of this (I like how the webmail just says "Received: by xxxxxx.com with MailEnable WebMail; Tue, 25 May 2021 11:58:27 +0100")

Any thoughts on this would be MUCH appreciated!

MyHeadHurts

Re: How to hide client IP but not have 127.0.0.1 in the header?

Post by MyHeadHurts »

Just a little *Bump* to see if anyone has ANY suggestion for this?

I'm running out of time on my evaluation copy and I really REALLY don't want to go back to Exchange if I can help it, there's been yet another vulnerability found this week!

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How to hide client IP but not have 127.0.0.1 in the header?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I have raised an issue for this one to be addressed in the next minor release.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support