Failure to resolve DNS

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
privateland

Failure to resolve DNS

Post by privateland »

On doing a routine diagnostic on Mailenable Enterprise v 9.86, I came across the errors below.

I've had a look at some previous threads on this topic and the main answer offered appears to be to ensure that the DNS settings in the SMTP connector are the same as those on the NIC card.

In this situation, they are indeed the same (Google DNS servers). In addition to that, I have added those servers to my firewall to ensure connections are accepted. I have also turned off IPv6 on the NIC and in Mailenable.

Other strategies have included changing the DNS servers to OpenDNS, but again, I have exactly the same result. All outgoing mail on the server is Smarthosted out to SpamTitan, so I am less concerned about that as I am about incoming mail on some PostOfffices.

Anyone have any idea whether or not this is a false result, or if there is anything I can do to turn it around?

Appreciate any assistance on offer ...

The extract from the diagnostic follows;
  • Network DNS Test Resolve www.mailenable.com using Network Adapter IP Settings. Success Pass
  • Remote Mail Domain Resolution Test (mailenable.com) Error: Could not resolve mailenable.com in DNS. You should make sure that your DNS specified in the SMTP properties is able to resolve remote domain names. Error: Could not resolve DNS. (1460) Fail
  • Local Mail Domain Resolution Test (meancity.co.uk) Error: Could not resolve your Local Domain Name in DNS. You should change the local domain name to a domain name that is registered in DNS. This setting is found in the MMC under the properties of the SMTP Connector Error: Could not resolve DNS. (1460) Fail
  • The DNS settings used by the SMTP Connector have caused tests to 'Fail'. Some diagnostic tests have been skipped. Please review your configuration and re-run this utility. Fail

privateland

Re: Failure to resolve DNS

Post by privateland »

Anyone?

Brett Rowbotham

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

Run nslookup from the command line, use the server command to set the default DNS server to whatever you have in your SMTP settings, then try to look up those failing domain names.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi,

The diagnostic utility uses the IPs you have configured under the SMTP settings to try to resolve mailenable.com and meancity.co.uk. Are you able to use nslookup to check that the same IP address you have configured there is able to resolve the domains? The 1460 error is a timeout.

privateland

Post by privateland »

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can find both domains using ping on the command line. Nslookup confirms the correct DNS server is set.

Regards
John