SMTP Inbound Bindings Test - No SMTP Server Detected?

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Brett Rowbotham

Re: SMTP Inbound Bindings Test - No SMTP Server Detected?

Post by Brett Rowbotham »

Warning could be due to the fact that external email servers will no longer be able to contact your email server as they expect port 25 to be available.

If you change the main port as you specified then only your users would know how to send email to your server, and would never be able to receive replies if they sent to other external servers.

Use the submission port setting if you require and SLL connection for your own users.

mrnams

Post by mrnams »

I have same problem
When I use 25 port without SSL in SMTP inbound setting there is no warning for SMTP inbound test and able to receive mails but as soon as I am changing the port to 465 or 587 and select Require SSL options it is stopped working and diagnose result showing warning on SMTP inbound test

Surprisingly, no solution provided by any one

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi,

Remote mail server will only connect on port 25, which is why there is the warning. So if you want to receive email from other mail servers you need to leave it as port 25 non-SSL (though STARTTLS enabled). If you want to use port 465 and 587 for your users you need to add these as extra ports. If your 25 is blocked by your service provider you cannot receive email from other server unless you have it unblocked or use a service that will accept the email for you and redirect to a different port.