Mail blocked by Barracuda due to Received From IP

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
robfwtx

Mail blocked by Barracuda due to Received From IP

Post by robfwtx »

Good Morning All!

I'm not sure I like Barracuda rejecting a message due to the received from IP in the message header not being trusted. I had not paid attention to notices from other users since it happens so rarely. However, this time I noticed the IP address they complained about was not internal to my company. When I checked, it was an IP address for where the user's computer was connected at the time they sent the message. I'm not sure I like that information going out.

My questions: 1) Can this header have the IP replaced with that of the email server when a user is authenticated? 2) Would this break any generally accepted "best practices"?

Thanks,
Robert

lewiskerns

Re: Mail blocked by Barracuda due to Received From IP

Post by lewiskerns »

I am having the same problem with one of my users. They are sending email through the webmail client and their IP address is being included. Barracuda has flagged their IP address as a source of spam and is blocking the email, even though my server is not on the blacklist. The segment from a header message below shows the web client's IP address "Received: from ([ ***** ])". "X-Originating-IP: [ ****** ]" is my valid server id.
Would like to be able to hide/mask/replace this if possible.

If you find a solution to this, please let me know.
Thanks
Lewis

07 Jan 2010 15:03:19 -0600 (CST)
X-Originating-IP: [ ***** ]
Received: from ([ ****** ]) by mailenable.franktronics.net with
MailEnable WebMail; Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:03:04 -0500
To: <lewiskerns@verizon.net>

polarisie

Post by polarisie »

Have you checked to see if there is an option to set the "depth" of how far back it goes when performing DNSBL checks for received from IP's ? Most likely its going way to far back then necessary.

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

lewiskerns

Post by lewiskerns »

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't control the Barracuda appliance, its on the receiving end of the emails my user is trying to send. Its bouncing the emails as spam and the user is looking to me to resolve this issue. I'm looking for a way to change/prevent MailEnable from including the IP address of the web browser being used to generate an email through the webmail interface.

mattblack

Post by mattblack »

Any solution to this issue? I have the same problem with IIS SMTP and if ME has a wait to fix this then it would swing me more towards buying ME than not.

Thanks

daThomas

Post by daThomas »

Yea seriously, this is a bit of an issue. This can lead to a really poor customer experience when some of their email is not getting through and we have to explain to them that their broadband cable IP is on a spam list.

Can someone from M.E. please respond to this issue?