Next Major release? ME is falling behind now.

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
kiamori

Next Major release? ME is falling behind now.

Post by kiamori »

Mailenable is starting to fall a bit behind as far as features, when can we expect the next major release? and what features will be coming to the next major release of ME?

I would love to see the following functionality and fixes:

1. Teams type interface built into ME, something like mattermost.
2. Fix the chat/video, its totally useless in its current state.
3. Improved task management features that can be used in conjunction with a teams type layout.
4. on the fly file management and image sharing functions.
5. webmail still has glitches that were reported over a year ago, ie. delete an item and in some cases when it auto refreshes the item shows back up in the list.
6. Features that should have been in ME years ago: contacts whitelisted, correctly whitelist sender emails.. currently has issues with whitelist in conjunction with envelope sender, lacks full integration into android without third party apps(CalDAV/CardDav/SyncML) and does not sync notes, iphone does not sync notes,
7. Filtering needs a full overhaul to support dynamic custom filters, current system is very limited and has a high overhead for high traffic servers. Might be nice to have a stand alone front end filter module that can be used instead of a full install of ME on the front end as well.
8. better alias and identity management for people with multiple email accounts, currently in order for it to automatically reply with the email address it was sent to you must setup an identity for each address. Some clients have multiple emails setup but a single identity. Global identity would solve this.
9. Inbox still reporting incorrect number of unread emails(number in bold next to "Inbox") after some time,
10. webmail and webadmin need a full look and feel overhaul.
11. DNSBL filtering is clunky, need option to add a weighted system to DNSBL filtering. In most cases free email providers like google are DNSBL'ed but not all email from them is spam so we need a weighted filtering system to deal with senders like google, office365 and AWS.
12. Better integration into Outlook365, currently its a mess because of Microsoft but ME needs to buld a deployable utility that just opens the MAPI config without doing the config in outlook at all.
13. Proper newsletter system with double opt in compliance and automatic unsubscribe links in footer.

At this point we looking at building our own system because any product that provides these functions is cloud based or has serious flaws in security or functionality. ME has been the best solution over the years but is now starting to fall behind and so rather than hop providers we'll be forced to build from scratch which is obviously a huge undertaking and likely 1-2 years development for my team.

@ME team, Feel free to email or call me, you have my info.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Next Major release? ME is falling behind now.

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Thanks for the post and the information. There are some good points there, and we are aware of a lot of areas we can work on for future updates. We've spent a fair bit of recent time improving the underlying indexing performance and management. So a lot of our changes for the next major update (yes we know it is slow to come out!) are orientated around making the software easier to diagnose issue, resolve problems, etc. The majority of our customer requests are orientated about tracking messages, more flexibility and control over existing features, more alerting about user and server activity, etc. We've completed implementing EWS, and are doing a bit of work now to lower its resource requirements to make it scale. Hopefully we can hit a few of your points you raised in upcoming releases.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

I appreciate the response Ian, ME is a good solid product and your team provides great support. My only concern is it falling behind and losing clients to the cloud providers.

Can you share a timeframe for any of the items you mentioned as well as any on my list that might make it into a future release? Ballpark estimate would be great!

Also, will the EWS implementation require additional licensing like ActiveSync?

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

One of the things I would really like to see is an improved spam filtering capability. If I were hosting email for myself or maybe a handful of clients, I wouldn't worry so much about it. But when I am hosting email for one-man shops and for companies with 60 accounts and everything in between, they all have custom spam filtering. MXScan was great but they went out of business years ago. I still run their software the the latest release before they closed their doors. It has a lot of great filtering capabilities that can filter the whole server or even set it based on a specific domain. All that was great. Their blacklist and whitelist was second to none and worked without a hitch. I could specify either IP address, domain, email address, subject, whatever and it just worked. I could kick out emails from whole countries or allow emails for specific countries. None of that is in ME. I would enjoy parting ways with MXScan one of these days because I'm certain there are false positives and the longer I use it the longer these false positives will hurt my clients...it's just that I cannot get an easy to use capability in ME and MagicSpam is basically no better benefit because it--like ME--is either on and fixed for everyone or off and no one is filtered.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

robert,

I agree ME needs better filtering functions.

You can block by country in ME now, also 0spam.org for DNSBL. You will need to whitelist google IP's since they are always getting black listed for abuse. We create about 50custom filters plus 0spam and it's catching about 99.997% of spam now.

Supermule

Post by Supermule »

Current wishes is:

Better logging capabilities.
Easier setup (never got autodiscovery working).
Better migration tools for O365.
Option to book shared ressources like meeting rooms
Teams calender/call integration on local clients since sound/video is a no go on terninalservices. So RDS works together with the local client when syncing call/calender.

kiamori

Post by kiamori »

Supermule wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:37 pm
Easier setup (never got autodiscovery working).
Autodiscover works just fine in the current version of ME, you must have missed a dns config or something.

Supermule

Post by Supermule »

NO doubt about it, but didnt get it to work....