Filter bug?

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
dcol

Filter bug?

Post by dcol »

If I forward a filter flagged email to a local user and they reply to it, it ends up flagged as spam again by a filter that caught the original email correctly. I then removed the domain from that filter list then forward that email back to the original recipient stating this one is legit. They replied that the email was legit, but that reply ended up getting caught by the same filter without the 'mark as spam' flag set. This leads me to suspect that whatever flags an original email stays with that email when it reappears in a reply from an authenticated local sender.

To be more specific, here is the rule originally set on this email
Criteria: 'Where the From header line contains specific words'
Actions:
'Mark message as spam'
'Forward message to specified recipient' - This is my spam trap email
'Delete Message'
'Stop Processing filters'

So when the local authenticated user forward my response with the original message that this email was legit the same filter was applied as above, but without the 'Mark message as spam' action set. This leads me to believe that the 'Mark message as spam' action was cleared but the other actions stay and the original filter rule stays in place.

I had the user repeat the process and the same thing happened. Is this a bug?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Filter bug?

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

A global filter will always execute on any message that is routed by the MTA agent. It will not remove any previous mark as spam headers in the message. You maybe better creating a filter to trigger on "Where the user has authenticated" and then adding an action to "Stop processing all filters". Then moving that filter at the top of the filters list so that it the first to execute.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

dcol

Re: Filter bug?

Post by dcol »

I assume you meant 'Where the sender has authenicated'. I am already doing that. This issue only happens when forwarding forwarded mail. Some flag must be left behind when forwarding.